Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 01/10/2013

1 October 2013

Report: Blackpool 0 Bolton Wanderers 0

Blackpool were held to a draw for the third game in succession as neither side managed to find the breakthrough in a goalless encounter. 

Bobby Grant and Ricardo Fuller had the best opportunities for The Seasiders but couldn’t finish as this north-west derby ended without a goal at Bloomfield Road.  

Manager Paul Ince made two changes to the side that drew at Huddersfield last Friday evening with Isaiah Osbourne and Grant replacing Neal Bishop and the suspended Angel Martinez in the starting line-up. 

Pool had the first chance of the game just a few minutes in when Fuller powerfully headed Craig Cathcart’s cross towards goal but his effort was straight at visiting ‘keeper Adam Bogdan. 

Bolton then created an opportunity for themselves when Liam Feeney’s centre bamboozled Matt Gilks and scraped the underside of the crossbar before being cleared.  

The Trotters looked threatening going forward and had the majority of the ball in the early stages without conjuring up any real meaningful attempts on target. 

Stephen Dobbie did strike a sweet volley into the bottom corner of the net for Blackpool after 20 minutes, only to look up and see the linesman had raised his flag for an earlier offside. 

Good initial dribbling skills by Thomas Ince then eventually presented Chris Basham with a long range striking opportunity but his shot whizzed just wide of the upright. 

The Seasiders went even closer to scoring the opening goal on the stroke of the half hour mark when Grant latched onto Dobbie’s weighted pass and struck a first time effort that Bogdan did well to palm away for a corner.
Blackpool were beginning to turn the screw and again came within inches of the breakthrough as Ince fired a left footed drive narrowly wide of the post and then curled a teasing free kick into the area which caused havoc in the Bolton defence but the ball was cleared away, right on the goal line. 

HALF-TIME: Blackpool 0-0 Bolton

Pool almost took the lead less than a minute into the second period as Fuller collected Dobbie’s precise through ball into the area but Bogdan got a strong hand to his attempt and pushed it away for a flag kick. 

The away side then had their best opportunity of the game as Darren Pratley picked up Kirk Broadfoot’s loose pass and played Jermaine Beckford through on goal but the striker’s effort hit the base of the post before being cleared. 

Bishop was brought on in place of Grant as The Seasiders looked to regain some of their first half impetus but both sides struggled to create goal scoring chances as the game entered the final 20 minutes of play. 

Beckford was proving to be Bolton’s biggest attacking threat but he miscued a succession of efforts for the visitors when well-placed as the game ticked past the 80th minute. 

Ex-Blackpool defender Alex Baptiste almost nodded Dougie Freedman’s men into a late lead but Gilks got down superbly to claw the ball away when it looked destined for the bottom corner. 

Michael Chopra replaced Fuller with just a few minutes left but it was Ince who went the closest to a last minute winner as his low shot was pushed away by Bogdan.

Goalless is how things stayed however as Blackpool drew for the third time in as many matches.  

FULL-TIME: Blackpool 0-0 Bolton

Advertisement block