Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 26/10/2013

26 October 2013

Report: Blackpool 2 Blackburn Rovers 2

A stoppage time own goal from Steve Davies denied Blackpool three points in a tasty 2-2 draw with Blackburn Rovers.

Both sides finished with ten man at Bloomfield Road, as the supporters were treated to an entertaining Lancashire derby. 

Tom Ince put the hosts ahead early on from the spot, before Jordan Rhodes leveled, again with a penalty.

Dan Gosling netted his first goal for the club to regain Blackpool's advantage, but the sucker punch came right at the death, as Davies found his own net to ensure the draw. 

There was one change to the Blackpool side that beat Wigan last week, with Angel Martinez replacing the injured Craig Cathcart, meaning Chris Basham slotted in at right back.

It was the hosts that started the better side, buoyed by an electric atmosphere, and the majority in attendance were almost rewarded early, but Stephen Dobbie's cross-shot flew across the face of goal and out for a throw in. 

The Crystal Palace loanee was involved again moments later, Rovers goalkeeper Jake Kean could only parry Tom Ince's effort, but did well to keep out Dobbie's header from the rebound.

The breakthrough came on 13 minutes, Ricardo Fuller turned Matt Kilgallon inside the area, before being hauled to the ground by the Rovers man, giving the referee no option but to point to the spot.

For the second week running Ince was ice cool from the spot, sending Kean the wrong way to put the hosts ahead. 

Blackburn tried for the instant response, Rhodes crossed for Josh King, but the winger's effort flew wide of the mark.

That was just the warning however, and from their next attack Rovers were level.

A long throw found it's way to Rhodes, and the striker's goal-bound effort was handled by Jack Robinson, forcing the referee to even up the penalties.

The league's top scorer was clinical with his kick, sending Gilks the wrong way to restore parity.

Blackburn now had the momentum, and after Alan Judge's stinging drive was palmed by Gilks, King's effort flew narrowly over the cross. 

Pool weathered the storm however, and although Fuller's improvised header was off target, it was a sign of the pendulum swinging back towards the hosts.

On 39 minutes, The Seasiders edged ahead for the second time from what appeared an unthreatening position. Dan Gosling tried his luck from range, and with Kean rooted to the spot, it nested into the corner, giving the midfielder his first goal for the club. 

That goal put Blackpool ahead at half time, and on course for another three points on home soil.

The second half continued where the first half left off, with end-to-end action.

The first real attempt came eight minutes after the break, with Dobbie having a his low strike deflected behind for a corner. 

On the hour mark Blackburn boss Gary Bowyer released a familiar face off the bench, DJ Campbell returning to Bloomfield Road for the first time since he left the club in 2011.

Rovers then went in search of a second equaliser, but when King was tripped by Dobbie, Rhodes could only direct his header straight at Gilks from the resulting free-kick.

Following that opportunity Alex Rae decided to freshen up his attacking options, and brought Davies on to replace the tiring Fuller.

Minutes later and the stand-in manager switched again, this time Tom Barkhuizen came on for Dobbie.

The new men had some defending to do moments later, firstly Basham was in the right place to head off the goal line. Then seconds later Campbell fashioned an opening for Tom Cariney, but the winger inexplicably shot wide from close range. 

The entertainment continued, Blackpool were next to come close, as Ince fired narrowly wide, after being set up by Davies.

At the other end Cairney continued to misfire, shooting wide from long range, whilst Barkhuizen shot at Kean for Pool.

Entering the final ten minutes the game, which hadn't been bad tempered, over boiled, as both sides were reduced to ten men.

It was Campbell who was central to the drama, as he went in late on his former team mate, Gilks. A mass-brawl sparked out, with Campbell and MacKenzie involved, Jack Robinson also entered the melee, along with the majority of the players, forcing the referee to take action.

With little options available to him, the referee reduced both sides to ten men for the final stages, with Campbell and Robinson seeing red.

That set up a dramatic final few minutes, and as the game entered stoppage time the visitors got the leveler they'd been looking for.

Davies was the unlucky man whose flick on crept past Gilks and into his own net to make it 2-2 at the death.

There was even time for Rovers to nick it, but Cairney's long range strike was held by Gilks, as both sides were forced to share the points.

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block