Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team Through On Penalties

7 October 2013

Seasiders Beat Burnley In Youth Alliance Cup

Kieran Shaw’s winning spot kick sent Blackpool through to Round Two of the Youth Alliance Cup - Northern Section 4-2 on penalties.

The young Seasiders had fought back from Burnley’s two-goal lead with 20 minutes to go – George Lomax scoring twice to level it 2-2 at full-time.

Ntumba Massanka and Jamie Frost struck either side of half-time for The Clarets, who looked set for the win at Squires Gate, but Richie Kyle’s side showed mental strength to come from behind and ensure a fourth straight victory.

Despite Pool’s recent run, Burnley ran them ragged from the off and Frost was whiskers away from scoring inside five minutes. The striker linked up with Massanka and drilled his effort inside the box just past Connor Hunt’s far post.

It wasn’t long before the visitors got their goal, though, as Cameron Dummigan’s cross from the right found Frost, who volleyed straight at Hunt, before the rebound fell to Massanka for a simple tap in.

Massanka should have scored a second shortly after, turning onto his left foot but being denied by the oncoming Hunt one on one.

The young Tangerines struggled to find many openings in the first-half – Harrison McGahey resorting to a long range strike which forced goalkeeper Callum Jakovlevs to parry.

It was Pool’s goalkeeper Hunt who had the busier first-half, as again the stopper denied Massanka from close range before tipping behind Frost’s low effort moments later.

Rowan Richardson was on hand to block Christian Hill’s effort on Blackpool’s goal line going into half-time, although Luke Higham nearly levelled for Pool on the counter as Jakovlevs denied the midfielder at the near post.

Half-time: Blackpool 0-1 Burnley

The young Seasiders made the worst possible start to the second-half by conceding within two minutes. Tricky midfielder Luke Daly pulled the ball back for Frost to finish from six yards, leaving Pool facing an early cup exit.

However, Dom Telford’s second-half introduction sparked life back into Blackpool’s attack, and the forward was denied at the far post by Jakovlevs when free from Henry Cameron’s cross. Telford then released Lomax down the left of Burnley’s penalty area, but the striker saw his attempt saved at the near post.

Lomax continued to work hard on his own in attack and got his reward with 20 minutes to go. The 17-year-old found space in the box before driving low past Jakovlevs into the far left corner, springing life back into the young Tangerines.

Substitute Conor Ready could have completed a quick turnaround as he lofted the ball over, but Pool equalised with ten minutes to spare – Telford’s cross being tipped away by the goalkeeper straight to Lomax, who headed home for two apiece. 

Both sides believed they could find a winner before full-time – Burnley full back Dunnigan’s effort curling not far wide before Bradley Jackson’s glancing header past the post left Clarets boss Terry Pashley in despair.

Burnley will feel the game was theirs in 90 minutes, and their agony rubbed off as Dunnigan and Kevin Ly missed their opening two penalties in the shootout. 

Daly and Callum Richardson scored their third and fourth, but all of Pool’s McGahey, Telford, Ready and Shaw scored to send the young Seasiders marching on to Round Two.

Advertisement block