Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 17/09/2013

17 September 2013

Report: Millwall 3 Blackpool 1

Blackpool's unbeaten start to the season came to an end as Millwall ran out 3-1 winners at The Den.

Thomas Ince opened the scoring for The Seasiders after 15 minutes but a penalty on the stroke of half-time and second-half goals from Nicky Bailey and Steve Morison ensured The Lions' first win of the campaign.

Bob Harris started at left-back as Jack Robinson served a one-match suspension, in the only change from Saturday's 2-1 win at Bournemouth.

Matt Gilks was tested for the first time after just five minutes when Martyn Waghorn let fly with a rasping drive from 30 yards out, but the keeper saved well down to his left and Gary MacKenzie cleared away the rebound.

The same player tried his luck again ten minutes later when he dropped off in the penalty area but scuffed his effort and Gilks saved easily.

Just moments later and Blackpool worked the ball well for the first time in the game and in doing so found the first goal of the evening through Thomas Ince when he chested down a headed clearance and lashed home from 15 yards, low past the despairing David Forde.

GOAL: Millwall 0-1 BLACKPOOL

The Seasiders were nearly pegged back in the 21st minute when Martyn Woolfoord flicked on an inswinging delivery from the right only to see it come back off the post and then off Gilks' chest and away.

Harris wasn't afraid of marauding forward from full-back and when he was found by a lovely chipped ball from Angel Martinez, but his pulled back cross was well cup out.

In first half stoppage time Millwall were given a lifeline when Isaiah Osbourne was adjudged to have handled the ball in the area and Liam Trotter sent Gilks the wrong way to level things up.

GOAL: MILLWALL 1-1 Blackpool


After the interval there was some untidy play from both sides as there appeared to be a few tired legs on show.

When some long passing moves were strung together they were done so by The Seasiders and after some neat interchange and spreading of the play Ince cut inside but his curling effort from 25 yards sailed over the crossbar.

Nathan Delfouneso was introduced on the hour-mark in place of Osbourne, allowing Bishop to move to his preferred central midfield position.

Morison came on for the hosts and was looking dangerous as he was employed in the lone-striker role giving the Pool backline food for thought.

Basham and Harris continued to carry a threat in the wide areas with both sending in some teasing crosses, which were inches away from their targets.

With 20 minutes to go the game swung the home side's way when Bailey stole in unmarked from a corner to volley The Lions in front.

GOAL: MILLWALL 2-1 Blackpool

Almost straight from the restart a long punt over the top was latched onto by Morison and the striker emphatically volleyed the ball past Gilks and into the top left hand corner from the edge of the penalty area.

GOAL: MILLWALL 3-1 Blackpool

Stephen Dobbie came on for his third debut for the club, but The Lions were able to see out the game against a weary looking Blackpool.


Advertisement block