Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 05/04/2014

5 April 2014

Report: Blackpool 1 Yeovil 2

It was another dismal afternoon for Blackpool, as bottom of the table Yeovil Town won at Bloomfield Road to keep things tight at the bottom of The Championship.

The Seasiders struggled to create throughout, and it proves there is still work to be done if Pool are to secure survival.

James Hayter's penalty punished Tony McMahon's handball, before Tom Lawrence fired home a crucial second for the visitors.

A stunning Elliot Grandin strike gave Pool hope, but they were constantly thwarted in the closing stages, as the defeat was confirmed. 

Barry Ferguson had made one change to his side, bringing Neal Bishop in to start.

And it was Ferguson’s men who started the better side, but two corners came to nothing, before Chris Basham had a volley deflected over.

David Goodwillie then saw his flicked effort kept out by Chris Bunn, before Liam Davis shot over for The Glovers.

March’s Player of the Month, McMahon, was next to try his luck, but his free-kick was comfortably saved by Dunn.

However 15 minutes in Yeovil were awarded a penalty, as McMahon was adjudged to have handled in the area, allowing Hayter to fire home the opener, via the inside of the post.

Blackpool responded, but Craig Cathcart could only clear the bar with his header, as Yeovil remained a danger on the break, with Davis shooting at the feet of Matt Gilks.

The goalkeeper was then quick off his line to thwart Hayter, before Goodwillie fired over for Pool.

But when Bishop’s header landed on the roof of the net it summed up a pretty dismal half for The Seasiders.

Half Time: Blackpool 0 Yeovil 1

Straight after the restart it took a fine save from Gilks to keep out Joel Grant's volley, as Ferguson brought on Andy Keogh to replace home debutant Apsotolos Vellios. 

Soon after Blackpool should certainly have equalised; Goodwillie did well to turn his man, but lost his composure in front of goal and fired over.

Bishop was the next to be guilty of squandering a good chance, after he met Goodwillie's cross, only to direct his header off target from about six yards out.

Grandin and Tom Barkhuizen were next to be brought on, as Bishop and Basham made way. 

However it was Barkhuizen who gave away possession on 74 minutes, allowing Yeovil to break, and once the cross came in Lawrence fired through the legs of Gilks to double Yeovil's lead.

From nowhere however Blackpool hauled themselves back in the contest straight away. Grandin was given space inside the Yeovil half and fired a stunning strike from long-range into the roof of the net to reduce the deficit.

The Frenchman came close to repeating the trick a minute into injury time with a dramatic equaliser, but his fine strike fizzed wide on this occasion.

And when Keogh's header landed straight into the hands of Dunn, Blackpool's defeat was confirmed.

Full Time: Blackpool 1 Yeovil 2

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block