Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 18/04/2014

18 April 2014

Report: Blackpool 0 Burnley 1

Blackpool's position in The Championship looks in real danger, after a disappointing performance in the Lancashire derby was punished by Burnley, whose promotion push strengthened.

An impressive strike from Michael Kightly piled on the Pool misery, as the hosts failed to pressurise their opponents until the closing stages.

Even then clear cut chances were a rarity; the closest The Seasiders came to an equaliser was when Andy Halliday's volley was headed off the line.

It means the pressure continues to mount on Pool, who now have three games to preserve their Championship status.

It was the visitors who had started the better side, knowing a win would take them to within touching distance of the Premier League, and Kightly shot at Matt Gilks early on.

And the winger should certainly have put Burnley ahead on eight minutes when he capitalised on Jack Robinson's error, but was again thwarted by Gilks.

After that Pool settled, Harrison McGahey in particular, with the debutant firing an impressive diagonal ball to Tony McMahon, before David Goodwillie sliced an effort horribly wide. 

The Clarets were beginning to turn the screw however, next Dean Marney teed up Danny Ings, whose scuffed effort was held by the Blackpool goalkeeper.

Then Craig Cathcart misjudged the ball and was next to give Ings a chance, but Burnley's leading goal scorer again shot at the busy Gilks. 

Despite the chances Blackpool were competing well, but The Clarets were still creating opportunities, as Ashley Barnes fired over.

Two minutes before the break Pool were forced into a change, as Robinson was forced off with injury and replaced by Halliday.

And the Middlesbrough loanee was instantly involved, as he headed McMahon's cross wide of the mark.

That chance brought the first half to an end, as the two sides went in level.

Half Time: Blackpool 0 Burnley 0

Straight after the restart Burnley had a golden chance to take the lead, but defender Michael Duff fired wide following a clever corner-kick routine.

However with their next chance they were much more deadly, as Kightly cut in from the wing and bent a fine left-footed effort into the top corner.

That had the visitors in the driving seat, and Pool soon withdrew Goodwillie for Louis Almond. Isaiah Osbourne followed soon after, with Stephen Dobbie coming on. 

Blackpool frustration was now clear to see however, as the Scottish substitute blazed an effort over.

And the visitors could have wrapped it up with eight minutes remaining, but Barnes headed Ben Mee's cross over.

At the other end McGahey's strike was blocked by flying Burnley bodies, and Halliday's rasping volley came even closer, but was headed off the line at the death.

It meant the majority left Bloomfield Road disappointed again, as Burnley edged proceedings.

Full Time: Blackpool 0 Burnley 1

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block