Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 26/04/2014

26 April 2014

Report: Wigan 0 Blackpool 2

Blackpool took a mammoth step towards Championship survival and lept out of the relegation zone, after claiming three priceless points at the expense of Wigan Athletic.

Matt Gilks' fine penalty save had kept Blackpool level at the break, before The Seasiders found their lethal streak in the second period against the play-off chasing Latics.

Andy Keogh's unstoppable header on the hour mark put the massive away following in delirium, before the second sealed the result.

Keogh again played a crucial role, as the Irishman crossed for Stephen Dobbie, who slammed home Pool's second to ensure Blackpool's fate will be in their own hands next week.

Blackpool, backed by a huge away following, started promisingly, despite Gilks having to hold James Perch's early header.

Jordi Gomez was next to try his luck, but he dragged an effort wide, as Pool remained comfortable during the opening stages.

On 20 minutes the hosts were given a massive chance to take the lead, as Shaun Maloney went down softly under Tony McMahon's challenge in the box and referee Andy D'Urso pointed to the spot.

The outraged away fans did their best to unsettle Martyn Waghorn as he stepped up, and it did the trick, as Gilks flew to his left and brilliantly clawed the spot kick to safety.

Next former Pool loanee Callum McManaman marauded down the right, before firing an effort across goal and wide.

In the final minute of the half Blackpool mustered their first real attack, a nice interchange between a hosts of Pool players resulted in Chris Basham squaring for Neal Bishop, but the latter couldn't convert from inside the six yard box.

Half Time: Wigan 0 Blackpool 0

Seven minutes into the second period The Seasiders were given a scare, as Gomez's free-kick found Nick Powell at the back-post, but the Manchester United loanee blazed over.

That chance sprung Pool into life, but when Dobbie went over in the area his penalty appeals fell of deaf ears. 

Instead of letting their heads drop however, Blackpool upped their game and edged themselves in front on the hour mark.

Basham powered down the right, before laying the ball off to Isaiah Osbourne. The midfielder then dug out a fine cross onto the head of Keogh, who'd lept above his marker, before powering his header past Ali Al-Habsi.

Five minutes later Maloney bent a free-kick over the bar for Wigan, after he'd gone over Osbourne's challenge on the edge of the box.

Tom Barkhuizen then replaced Bishop, who was on a yellow card, and moments later the away side really had something to hold onto.

Keogh was again instrumental, this time the Irishman used his pace and power to get down the right side, before picking out the onrushing Dobbie in the middle. The Scot took up the offer to slam home Blackpool's second and send the away end into delirium. 

The hosts attempted a response, but Powell blazed a presentable opportunity over the bar, while Barkhuizen drilled an effort well wide for the visitors.

As the board went up for four minutes added time Powell headed wide for Wigan, who could feel the game slipping away from them. 

In a bid to play the clock down Pool took Dobbie off for Angel Martinez, but no further chances would follow, as Blackpool secured three precious points.

Full Time: Wigan 0 Blackpool 2

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block