Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 12/08/2014

12 August 2014

Report: Shrewsbury 1 Blackpool 0

Blackpool's frustrating start to the new season continued on Tuesday night, as José Riga's side crashed out of the Capital One Cup at the first hurdle.

Beaten at Shrewbury by a solitary goal, Blackpool returned home defeated for the second time in four days.

Former-Pool striker Scott Vernon scored the only goal of the contest before the break, as the League Two club prevailed.

The second-half introduction of Ishmael Miller livened The Seasiders up, but nothing more as they failed to force an equaliser.

Riga handed debuts to Jeffrey Rentmeister and Joan Oriol for the trip to Shropshire.

But Blackpool were let off the hook early on when Shrews captain Connor Goldson headed wide from a sixth-minute corner.

Soon after Pool nearly paid for a mistake from debutant Rentmeister, however after Vernon was sent through the striker’s effort was kept out by Joe Lewis.

Jordan Clark then had a stinging drive deflected wide, before Mark Ellis headed the following corner over the Blackpool bar.

The Seasiders’ first chance arrived on 22 minutes as Nathan Delfouneso’s run across the front of the defender gave him the edge, but he could only clip Sergei Zenjov’s cross over the bar.

At the other end Lewis had to be at his best to deny Clark, diving high to palm the midfielder’s long-range effort wide in stylish fashion.

Collins then shot straight at Lewis, but when Shrewsbury’s goal eventually arrived it was deserved.  Ashley Vincent’s cross was flicked on by Collins and found Vernon at the back post, before the former-Pool man took it on his chest and side-footed home the opener.

The game then went flat from that point, until The Seasiders came within inches of equalising at the end of the half. Jacob Mellis charged down the right, before setting up Tomasz Cywka, and the Pole’s strike came back off the inside of the post, before Delfouneso’s rebound was foiled by Jayson Leutwiler in the Town goal.

That was Pool’s best chance of the half, as the hosts went in for half-time with a slender lead.

Half Time: Shrewsbury Town 1 Blackpool 0

After the break Miller came on for his debut, replacing Zenjov.

However it was the hosts who came closest to adding to their lead as James Wesolowski’s effort was deflected wide. While Miller made an instant impact, starting a fresh attack in his own box, and finishing it with a stinging drive that was palmed away by Leutwiler.

Ellis then diverted a thumping header just off-target for The Shrews, before Miller bent an effort over the bar.

The chances kept coming, next Clark tested Lewis again. Riga then handed a debut to youth team player Mark Waddington, who replaced the injured Mellis.

However all Blackpool’s threat was coming through Miller, who next powered down the left, before hitting a powerful cross-cum-shot which flew inches away from the head of Cywka.

Clark then flashed an effort wide as the entertainment continued at The Greenhous Meadow. Delfouneso was next to try his luck, but the striker’s deflected effort was palmed away by Leutwiler.

Pool then wasted a presentable free-kick opportunity, as Oriol’s centre was eventually blazed over the bar by Waddington.

That was the final chance of the contest, as Blackpool made it two defeats from two at the start of the new campaign.

Full Time: Shrewsbury Town 1 Blackpool 0

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block