Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Blackpool 0 Burnley 1

2 August 2014

Narrow Friendly Defeat For Pool

Bloomfield Road welcomed football back with a narrow Blackpool defeat at the hands of Premier League-bound Burnley on Saturday.

Marvin Sordell's sweetly struck effort midway through the second half settled a tight contest in favour of Sean Dyche's men.

The Seasiders competed well, and supporters were given a glimpse of number of new signings including Jacob Mellis and Tomasz Cywka.

José Riga's men played some attractive football in parts, but were ultimately restricted to half chances throughout the pre-season friendly.

It was the visitors who threatened first, as Dean Marney cracked the crossbar with an effort from the edge of the box.

That close call woke up Blackpool partially, and they came close when Mellis fed Tony McMahon, but the right-back's effort was blocked by some desperate Burnley defending.

Sordell was next to come close to opening the scoring, but could only find the goal stanchion with his strike from the edge of the box.

At the other end McMahon flashed a free-kick over the bar, while Marney's drilled cross for Burnley was inches away from the onrushing Sordell.

Striker Ashley Barnes then dragged an effort wide for The Clarets, as the two sides went in for the break all square.

Half Time: Blackpool 0 Burnley 0

After the interval Burnley took it up a gear and Ross Wallace forced Blackpool's trialist goalkeeper to palm wide for a corner.

Substitute Scott Arfield then had an effort tipped behind, and after a period of few chances the visitors finally took the lead.

Kieran Trippier's cross was knocked across goal by Danny Lafferty, and following some penalty box pinball, Sordell fired home sweetly on his left foot.

A host of second-half substitutes then took its toll on the game as a contest, but Blackpool remained competitive.

A number of Pool set pieces went to waste from that point, while Trippier's deflected free-kick was comfortably saved.

That would prove to be the last chance of the match, as Blackpool fought well, but ultimately finished the beaten side.

Full Time: Blackpool 0 Burnley 1

Advertisement block