Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 13/12/2014

13 December 2014

Report: Charlton 2 Blackpool 2

In-form Steven Davies produced when it mattered again for Blackpool, as his 89th minute equaliser rescued a point at The Valley.

The striker met Tony McMahon's free-kick with a thumping header to ensure the points were shared with Charlton Athletic.

Chris Eagles' bundled effort had put Pool ahead in the first half, but their hosts flipped the game on its head through a Yoni Buyens penalty and a Jordan Cousins strike.

It meant Lee Clark's men were heading for defeat, but Davies arrived with his third goal in as many matches to stun The Valley at the death.

Jacob Murphy's testing free-kick set the tone early on, with Nick Pope scampering across his goal to deny the winger, but he was in his comfort zone when collecting Eagles' set-piece soon after.

The Seasiders had settled quickly, and Davies was an inch away from Eagles' cross, and probably the opening goal.

Joe Lewis' early action simply consisted of a routine save from Callum Harriott, before Blackpool took the initiative at The Valley.

Jamie O'Hara's corner eventually found Nyron Nosworthy at the back post, and after the defender's header was put onto the cross bar Eagles was on hand to bundle the ball home.

Such was the scramble, debate on the goal scorer was the theme of the celebrations, but Eagles appeared to be claiming his first goal for Blackpool.

The goal had rattled The Addicks, and Johann Gudmundsson blazed a well-place free-kick over the bar around the half-hour mark, however they were handed a route back into the match soon after.

David Perkins was adjudged to have brought down Igor Vetokele, and much to Blackpool's disapproval the referee opted to award a penalty, which Buyens converted.

It meant Blackpool went in for the break feeling aggrieved, especially after Eagles blasted the final chance of the half over the bar.

Half Time: Charlton 1 Blackpool 1

After a slow start to the second half Clark opted to bring on Ishmael Miller in place of Jacob Murphy, while Nathan Delfouneso followed for Eagles soon after.

However it was the hosts who were celebrating soon after, Cousins was given the freedom of The Valley to pick his spot and bend home a fine effort for the hosts.

Vetokele was next to come close, with The Seasiders losing their shape after conceding the second.

Pool's wastefulness in possession was starting to spread, and Perkins' loose pass allowed Harriott another attempt on goal, which he squandered.

At the other end Davies' turn and shot kept Pope on his toes, before he bundled Kevin Foley's drilled effort wide of the mark.

For Charlton Chris Solly shot over, before Blackpool struck late hauled themselves level late on. McMahon's tantalising free-kick was met perfectly by Davies to level in the final minute.

Such was his bravery, Davies was flattened by the goalkeeper after equalising, and was taken off instantly for Stuart O'Keefe.

However if Blackpool thought they were in for an easy injury time they were wrong. Andre Bikey-Amougou blazed a golden chance over for Charlton at the death, and Clark's men held on.

Full Time: Charlton 2 Blackpool 2

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block