Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 20/12/2014

20 December 2014

Report: Blackpool 1 Bournemouth 6

Blackpool endured a nightmare start to the Christmas period, as league leaders Bournemouth hit Lee Clark's men for six at Bloomfield Road.

The classy Cherries ran riot, punishing their hosts for a number of defensive errors, with Matt Ritchie (two), Callum Wilson and Brett Pitman helping themselves.

Nathan Delfouneso's consolation did little to lift the gloom, with Marc Pugh and Harry Arter piling further misery on Pool in the latter stages of the contest.

The league leaders dominated from start to finish, and their training ground work was on show with the first attempt, as Ritchie's effort was cleared by Kevin Foley following a clever corner kick.

However it was just the dress rehearsal, and Blackpool gifted their visitors the lead on 18 minutes. Ritchie skipped past David Perkins, and his effort from outside of the area kept past Joe Lewis, who couldn't get enough on the strike.

The Cherries had arrived determined to show why they lead the way in The Championship, and Pugh stung Lewis' palms with a stinging drive.

It was inevitably Steven Davies who registered Pool's first attempt, bending an effort into the hands of Artur Boruc.

At the other end Ritchie fired another deflected drive wide, but their dominance finally told on the stroke of half time. Chris Eagles was caught delaying on the ball, allowing Pugh to clip a cross on a plate for Wilson to tap home the second.

It meant The Seasiders went in for the break behind to the leaders.

Half Time: Blackpool 0 Bournemouth 2

At half time Clark opted for changes, bringing on Jacob Murphy and Delfouneso for Eagles and Stuart O'Keefe.

Five minutes in Delfouneso had the ball in the back The Cherries' net, but was flagged for offside after moving too early to attack Peter Clarke's header.

However the little spark The Seasiders had was quickly extinguished when Ritchie bent a pearler into the top corner. As the ball hit the back of the net Nyron Nosworthy was down injured, and he was replaced by Darren O'Dea.

Delfouneso then curled an effort into Boruc's hands, but the striker did at least register for Pool soon after. Tony McMahon's drive was palmed away, before Jamie O'Hara squared for the striker to tap home.

But the joy was extremely short lived, as Bournemouth ran up the other end and made it four. Wilson's pace took him away from O'Dea, who bundled him over in the box for a penalty. After being forced to retake, Pitman buried his kick into the bottom corner.

And it simply got worse for the hosts, as Pugh's back post header crept past Lewis, and Arter following it with a drilled effort into the bottom corner, as their dominance told.

The one-way traffic continued for the remainder, Ritchie again forced Lewis into an impressive save, before Yann Kermorgant shot over from a tight angle, as Bournemouth returned home victorious. 

Full Time: Blackpool 1 Bournemouth 6

Advertisement block