Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 08/02/2014

8 February 2014

Report: Blackpool 1 Forest 1

Andy Keogh's header with time running out gave spirited Blackpool a deserved point, after they more than matched promotion-chasing Nottingham Forest.

The visitors had taken the lead in first-half stoppage time, when Jamaal Lascelles knocked home Andy Reid's free-kick.

However Blackpool rallied after the break, and in the pouring rain Bloomfield Road erupted five minutes from time when Keogh met Jack Robinson's cross to level.

It was the very least The Seasiders deserved, and Barry Ferguson will now hope the late goal has provided his team with a much-needed confidence boost.

The Scot had opted to start Angel Martinez, whilst Keogh partnered Steve Davies up front.

However, the visitors had started the better side, and Matt Gilks had to be at his best to keep out Greg Halford, although the linesman's flag had him covered anyway.

Blackpool couldn't get an early grip on the game, as Reid flashed a volley wide for Forest.

Gonzalo Jara was next to try his luck, slicing an effort wide of the mark. At the other end Faris Haroun came close, forcing Karl Darlow into a low save down to his left.

Slowly but surely Pool were becoming more of a threat, and Tony McMahon's low drive almost gave them a reward, but it flew wide of the mark.

It seemed like we were petering away into a goalless half, until the visitors struck right on half-time.

Haroun's clumsy tackle gave Reid the opportunity to whip in a dangerous free-kick, which was knocked home by Lascelles.

Half Time: Blackpool 0 Nottingham Forest 1

The Seasiders came out for the second half fired up, and Stephen Dobbie's low strike had to be turned around the post by Darlow.

Next Keogh had a stinging drive well kept out by Darlow, before Ferguson made a triple change which would swing the pendulum well and truly Blackpool's way.

Andy Halliday, David Goodwillie and Elliot Grandin came on to replace Davies, Haroun and Angel.

One of them almost made an instant impact, as Goodwillie glanced McMahon's cross inches wide.

The Seasiders had now cranked up the pressure, next Halliday shot at Darlow, who was by far the busier goalkeeper. 

Finally Blackpool got exactly what they deserved for all their second half pressure - with five minutes remaining they drew level.

Robinson regained possession for his team, before providing a tantalising cross which was nodded home by Keogh on his home debut to haul his side level.

There was only one side chasing a winner from there, as Goodwillie's deflected strike was kept out by Darlow.

A corner deep into injury time came to nothing for Pool, but a point was the very least they deserved, and will hopefully now provide confidence for the rest of the season.

Full Time: Blackpool 1 Nottingham Forest 1

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block