Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 15/02/2014

15 February 2014

Report: Ipswich 0 Blackpool 0

Blackpool returned home from Suffolk with a creditable point, as their clash with Ipswich finished goalless at Portman Road.

The Seasiders arguably had the better chances, but were forced to hold on in the dying moments to claim a first clean sheet since November.

Faris Haroun came close on three separate occasions to earning the win for the visitors, whilst 16-goal David McGoldrick was stifled at the other end. 

It was a second successive draw for the improving Seasiders, who put in a solid shift throughout and more than deserved their point. 

Barry Ferguson named an unchanged side for the trip down south, and was boosted by the return of Ricardo Fuller to the bench.

It was the hosts who were gaining all the early momentum however, and they should have gone ahead on eight minutes when McGoldrick headed Luke Chambers' cross wide.

With 15 minutes gone Blackpool were forced into an early change, with Jack Robinson going off injured and Andy Halliday replacing him.

By now The Seasiders had settled, and saw Kirk Broadfoot fire a volley into Ipswich's side-netting.

Pool were remaining competitive, and were restricting the hosts to long-range shots - McGoldrick's slicer a fine example of that.

On 28 minutes Blackpool went mighty close to taking the lead, Stephen Dobbie slipped through Haroun, whose low effort was palmed away by Scott Loach.

The Blackpool winger was looking lively, and soon forced Loach into another low save, as the visitors finished a quiet half the stronger side.

Half Time: Ipswich 0 Blackpool 0

After the break Daryl Murphy dragged an effort wide, whilst Haroun's cross evaded everybody inside the Ipswich box at the other end.

Stephen Hunt was next to try his luck, volleying over for the improving hosts.

After 63 minutes Ferguson made a double substitution, with Fuller and David Goodwillie replacing Steve Davies and Andy Keogh.

Town almost sprung a surprise on The Seasiders, as Jay Tabb shot straight at Matts Gilks from a quickly taken free-kick.

Blackpool were relying on chances from set pieces, the best of which saw Gary MacKenzie head Tony McMahon's free-kick wide.

Calmness personified, Angel then set up Dobbie to fire a deflected effort wide.

Five minutes from time Haroun then forced a save out of Loach, yet again, from a dangerous Halliday centre.

Blackpool were saving it all for the final moments, desperate for a late winner, as Dobbie blazed an effort over from the edge of the box.

As the board went up for three added minutes the hosts fancied themselves for a dramatic winner, but McGoldrick mis-qued from Aaron Cresswell's cross with the last chance of the game.

It meant Blackpool returned north with a creditable point away from home.

Full Time: Ipswich 0 Blackpool 0

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block