Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Injury-Time Equaliser For Youth Team

27 January 2014

Richie Kyle's Side Maintain Unbeaten Run

A Joe Moulden goal deep into injury-time saved the youth team’s long unbeaten league run at Wigan Athletic’s Christopher Park training ground on Saturday.

The defender got a touch on substitute Dom Telford’s free-kick to equalise for Blackpool after Harrison McGahey’s own goal and a Joey Johnson tap-in overturned Kieran Shaw’s first-minute opener for Pool.

The young Seasiders, who have not lost a North West match since defeat at Rochdale in August, were on the brink of giving up that 11-game record, but Telford’s set-piece trickled through before the striker nearly even won it for Pool in the dying seconds.

The young Tangerines have made quick starts to games this season, and they were at it again when Shaw slammed home his first league goal of the season into the top corner from the edge of the box inside 60 seconds.

It could easily have become two just moments later, with Dion Charles’ low cross from the left being turned wide of the near post by Henry Cameron at full stretch.

Charles tried his luck next but, after cutting onto his left foot outside the area, Wigan goalkeeper Callum Mulby parried his fierce drive over the crossbar.

The Latics’ first chance fell to midfielder Ian Vicars, who shot wide of Connor Hunt’s far post, although Lomax went even closer for Pool by prodding Mark Waddington’s through ball inches past the left post with a first-time attempt.

However, Wigan should have levelled when Ellis Gibbons’ clearance sent Louis Robles through one on one.

Hunt came out to save low from the striker’s effort before Johnson then fired the follow-up wide for the Latics.

The home side tried their luck from long range in an attempt to level before the break, with Dahrius Waldron driving low and wide of the right post before Robles struck straight at Hunt, but it remained in Blackpool’s favour at the interval.

Half-Time: Wigan 0-1 Blackpool

Wigan came out much stronger following the break, with Johnson sending Jordan Flores through the inside left, but the striker’s effort flew wide of the left post.

At the other end, Charles had the chance to double the Seasiders’ lead but was denied by the long reach of Mulby, who tipped the winger’s effort around the far post after he had cut in from the left.

The hosts grew in confidence, however, and got their reward with 20 minutes to go, albeit via the help of a Blackpool player.

Latics captain Daniel Leigh burst down the right wing and drilled a low cross towards the near post which McGahey looked to block away, but the ball ended up his own net.

And Greg Rioch’s side completed the turnaround with 15 minutes left after a goalmouth scramble, which saw the ball cannon off the crossbar, before brave blocks from the Blackpool defence.

The ball was eventually tapped into an empty net by Johnson from six yards out.

Wigan nearly finished the Tangerines off two minutes later when Flores sent Robles down the inside right area of the box, but the striker’s dink over Hunt was cleared off the line by Moulden.

Kyle brought on Telford for Lomax in a desperate attempt to force a leveller, but it was Moulden who applied the final touch to the substitute’s free-kick deep into injury time.

Telford struck his set-piece low but with power towards Mulby’s far corner, and Moulden helped it in to secure a dramatic equaliser.

Somehow, there was still time for one more chance and Telford thought he had scored the winner after skipping around Gibbons, but the striker drilled a low effort inches past the far post, leaving the two sides to share the spoils at the end.

Full-Time: Wigan 2-2 Blackpool

BLACKPOOL: (4-3-3) Hunt; Richardson, Moulden, McGahey, Clayton; Waddington, Staunton-Turner (c), Shaw (Ready, 65); Cameron (Higham, 80), Lomax (Telford, 73), Charles.
SUBS: Thurston, Higham, Rowley, Ready, Telford.
GOALS: Shaw, Moulden.

WIGAN: (4-4-2) Mulby; Leigh (c), Gibbons, Waldron, Balogun; Flores (Cosgrove, 83), Wassi, Vicars, Poole; Robles, Johnson.
SUBS: McNally, Cosgrove, Purzycki, Anson, Cary.
GOALS: McGahey (o.g.), Johnson.

Advertisement block