Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 18/01/2014

18 January 2014

Report: Barnsley 2 Blackpool 0

Blackpool's dismal form continued at Oakwell this afternoon, as Chris O'Grady scored in either half to ensure Pool's winless run continued.

There had been little to choose between the pair during a bleak first-half, but once the hosts were awarded a penalty it always looked likely to become Pool's tenth consecutive game without a win.

Matt Gilks scythed down Stephen Dawson in the area to allow O'Grady to put his side ahead from the spot on the stroke of half time.

The striker then drowned out any hopes of a comeback when he nodded in the second minutes after the restart, as Blackpool's misery continued.

Paul Ince had made three changes to his side, bringing in Kirk Broadfoot, Isaiah Osbourne and Steve Davies.

And within four minutes Blackpool came close to opening the scoring, as Davies' header from Angel's cross was well held by Luke Steele.

Barnsley's answer was to fire over through Brek Shea. In an open first 15 minutes Chris Basham then headed over for The Seasiders.

The hosts came massively close to taking the lead soon after however, as Jim O'Brien failed to beat Gilks from close range after two attempts.

Thomas Ince then fired a warning sign to the hosts, shooting over with a half-volley.

Minutes before half-time Davies thought he'd given his side the lead, but his tap in from Basham's centre was chalked off, with the striker stood in an offside position.

And there was still time for Barnsley to stick the knife further, as Dawson broke through and was chopped down by Gilks for a cast-iron penalty-kick.

O'Grady ensured the hosts would lead at the break, firing his kick into the roof of the net. 

Half Time: Barnsley 1 Blackpool 0

Any hopes of an instant reaction from The Seasiders were quashed minutes after the break when O'Grady nodded in his and Barnsley's second - from then it proved to be an uphill task.

Dale Jennings would have made it three had it not been for the linesman's flag, before Ince's penalty appeals fell on deaf ears at the other end. 

Basham had an effort palmed away by Steele, but the comeback never seemed likely - Blackpool looked a beaten side.

The chances weren't coming for Pool, who'd had Alex Rae sent to the stands during the interval on another desperate day for The Seasiders.

Full Time: Barnsley 2 Blackpool 0

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block