Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Sheff Wed 2-0 Blackpool

1 January 2014

Report: Sheff Wed 2-0 Blackpool

Blackpool brought in 2014 in disappointing fashion at Hillsborough, as two second half strikes sealed three points for struggling Sheffield Wednesday.

After an uneventful first half The Owls found their lethal touch after the break, spearheaded by Connor Wickham.

The striker opened the scoring when his strike hit Jack Robinson on the way in, before he set up Chris Maguire for the easiest of finishes. 

For The Seasiders Tyler Blackett hit a post, whilst Dan Gosling also come close on another frustrating afternoon for Paul Ince's side. 

The manager was handed a timely boost before kick-off, with Ricardo Fuller being fit to start, along with Angel Martinez and Blackett.

At a subdued Hillsborough it was Wednesday who registered the first attempt, with Jacques Maghoma cutting inside and shooting at Matt Gilks.

Roger Johnson then tried his luck from range, before Blackett and Thomas Ince threatened for the visitors.

It took a desperate block from Robinson to keep the scores level on 12 minutes, when the defender threw himself at Wickham's goal-bound effort.

On 35 minutes Blackpool were inches away from taking the lead in bizarre circumstances. After Gosling had been foiled by Chris Kirkland, a Wednesday clearance cannoned off Blackett and onto the post, before it was scrambled away to safety.

Half Time: Sheffield Wednesday 0-0 Blackpool

Minutes after the break however the hosts went ahead, as Wickham capitalised on some penalty box pinball to fire home, via a large deflection off Robinson.

From there Blackpool rallied, and Michael Chopra replaced Angel, as Ince went with two up front. And moments later Craig Cathcart came close to levelling, but couldn't stretch enough.

Seconds later however, Wednesday provided the sucker punch. Wickham's cross-shot had two players cuing up at the back post, and Maguire was on hand to tap home from close range.

Nathan Delfouneso then replaced Blackett, both making what could be their final appearances for the club.

It was Wickham providing all the danger however, next his lob in Gilks fell the right side of the post from a Pool perspective.

Gary MacKenzie then headed Ince's corner wide, as Blackpool's frustration continued and Gilks did well to keep it at two, blocking Maghoma's effort.

With 15 minutes remaining Steve Davies was thrown into the action, replacing Fuller.

The Seasiders were showing no signs of a comeback, and were fortunate that both Johnson and Wickham missed opportunities to make it three.

It meant Blackpool began 2014 in disappointing fashion, beaten 2-0 in Yorkshire.

Full Time: Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 Blackpool

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block