Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team Plough On

15 January 2014

Accrington 1 Blackpool 4

Blackpool’s youth team reached the semi-final of the Lancashire FA Professional Youth Cup on Tuesday afternoon after victory at Accrington Stanley.

The young Seasiders, who will face another showdown with rivals Preston North End at Springfields as a result, took an early lead when Mark Waddington tapped home Mitchell Clayton’s cross.

Stanley equalised through Dieter Downey before the half-hour mark, but Pool completed the job with goals from Henry Cameron, Dom Telford and Kieran Shaw at QEGS, Blackburn.

After beating Tranmere Rovers to reach this stage, the young Tangerines were looking to build upon the 6-1 thrashing of North End at Squires Gate on Saturday.

Clayton continued in the absence of the injured Luke Higham at left back, while Rowan Richardson earned a start after his two goals off the bench against The Lilywhites.

Attacking from the off, Dion Charles and Cameron were both out of luck with efforts in the opening minutes, although Pool needed just six to take the lead.

Clayton’s deep cross from the left evaded the Accrington defence before Waddington attacked the far post and tapped in from six yards.

It was another perfect start from the young Seasiders, although Saturday’s hat-trick hero George Lomax was forced off through injury and replaced by Dom Telford inside ten minutes.

However, Pool searched for a second and Richardson’s poke was inches wide after the midfielder had raced onto a through ball.

It would have capped a fantastic four days for the 17-year-old, and his miss was made to count when Stanley won a free-kick on the edge of the box.

From the set-piece, Downey’s low free-kick across goal beat Daniel Milton at his bottom corner to level the score.

Pool needed less than ten minutes to retake the lead, though, when Stanley skipper Liam Goulding was caught in possession, before Cameron raced into the area and rolled the ball under the advancing goalkeeper Kieran Wolland.

Two soon became three before half-time as Telford found space in the box before firing low on the turn past Wolland to create a two-goal cushion going into the break.

Half-Time: Accrington 1-3 Blackpool

Pool looked to keep the goals coming following the interval and Harrison McGahey’s volley at the back post from a corner was saved by the feet of Wolland.

Telford then turned well in the box but fired wide of the post on the hour mark, and Accrington were forced to finish the match with ten men when, after using their three substitutes, Keelan Steenson went off injured.

As a result, Pool went on to grab a fourth through substitute Shaw’s strike from a Charles cross on the left.

Telford could have added a fifth had it not been for a save by Wolland while, at the other end, Milton made a magnificent low save to deny Max Hazeldine, who had raced into the box late on.

In the end, Pool saw the game out to set up a semi-final clash, and their third meeting of the season with their fierce rivals Preston.

Full-Time: Accrington 1-4 Blackpool

BLACKPOOL: Milton; Thurston, Moulden, McGahey, Clayton; Cameron (Rowley, 73), Staunton-Turner (c), Waddington, Richardson (Shaw, 63), Charles; Lomax (Telford, 10).

SUBS: Hunt, Rowley, Shaw, Ready, Telford.

GOALS: Waddington, Cameron, Telford, Shaw.

ACCRINGTON: Wolland, Roberts (Wolfenden, 69), Hennigan, Goulding (c), Greaves, Hudson (Quansah, 71), Hartley, Downey, Jenkins, Webb, Hazeldine.

SUBS: Walsh, Little, Quansah, Wolfenden, Steenson.

GOALS: Downey.

BOOKED: Downey

Advertisement block