Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 01/03/2014

1 March 2014

Report: Watford 4 Blackpool 0

It was yet another afternoon to forget for Blackpool, who were well beaten by a rampant Watford side at Vicarage Road.

Two goals apiece from Mathias Ranegie and Troy Deeney did the damage, as the winless run continues to Pool.

A catastrophic first half had Blackpool three behind at the break, and from there an unlikely comeback was never going to materialise.

Barry Ferguson's men did improve in the second half, but they were out of luck with a number of half-chances, before Deeney wrapped it up with a fine Watford fourth.

The Scot had made three changes to his side, bringing in Andy Halliday, Kevin Foley and Ricardo Fuller. 

It was the hosts who threatened first however, with Deeney holding off Kirk Broadfoot, before shooting straight at Matt Gilks.

Blackpool, in all white, now had Fuller holding up the ball again. He set up Faris Haroun, whose effort was blocked and then cleared by Watford.

Deeney was proving a menace however, again he shrugged off Broadfoot, before dragging an effort narrowly wide.

And the Watford pressure counted a quarter of an hour in when Ranegie's unstoppable header punished some poor Blackpool defending.

Fuller attempted to respond for the visitors, as he curled an effort over the bar from the edge of the box.

However it got worse for The Seasiders soon after, as Deeney followed a neat one-two with the second goal, firing home with the aid of a deflection from the edge of the box.

Not long after the game was over as a contest. Gary MacKenzie gave the ball away in a dangerous position and Ranegie ran in, before slotting the ball beyond Gilks.

Stephen Dobbie dragged a free-kick wide for The Seasiders, who went in for half-time with a mammoth task on their hands.

Half Time: Watford 3 Blackpool 0

Ferguson, clearly unhappy at the break, made a double change, with Chris Basham and Neal Bishop replacing Haroun and Andy Keogh for the second half.

Blackpool then began to improve, and Fuller stung the palms of Manuel Almunia. Then the Jamaican headed Dobbie's corner wide, as Pool plotted an unlikely route back into the contest.

Broadfoot then headed another Dobbie corner wide, and MacKenzie featured in a carbon copy move soon after.

A lofted ball over the top for Watford presented an opportunity for Deeney, but his shot on the stretch was clawed away by Gilks.

Watford's leading goal scorer wasn't to be denied a second however, and he soon curled a perfect strike into the top corner to make it 4-0.

David Goodwillie then replaced Dobbie with 14 minutes remaining, but the game was now over as a contest, as The Seasiders returned north empty handed.

Full Time: Watford 4 Blackpool 0

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block