Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 08/03/2014

8 March 2014

Report: Blackpool 0 Bournemouth 1

Fine margins change games in football, and that was certainly the case at Bloomfield Road today, as Blackpool's slump continued.

The turning point came moments after half time when Matt Gilks chopped down Lewis Grabban, just inside the penalty area.

The striker dusted himself down and slotted home the only goal of the game from the spot, as Bournemouth won in Lancashire.

In truth it was another abject performance from Blackpool, who never looked like recovering, having struggled to create chances throughout.

Barry Ferguson had made two changes to his side, bringing in Isaiah Osbourne and Chris Basham. 

It was The Seasiders who started the livelier of the two teams, and Stephen Dobbie stung the palms of Lee Camp early on.

The Scot's corner was then scissor-kicked well wide by Andy Halliday, after Gary MacKenzie's header was blocked, as the hosts looked for an opener.

Bournemouth, on the back of a 5-0 win last time out, were a threat going forward however, and Matt Ritchie tested Gilks with a low drive.

Ian Harte, who had a brief spell with Blackpool earlier in his career, then struck the wall with a free-kick given away by David Perkins.

Grabban, The Cherries' top scorer, then flashed a volley over the bar, before Ricardo Fuller had an effort thwarted at the other end.

However, after a busy opening half hour, the first period soon fizzled out, as both side failed to create any clear-cut chances and went in for the break goalless. 

Half Time: Blackpool 0 Bournemouth 0

After an uneventful first half, the second couldn't have started much worse. Grabban broke clear for the visitors, and was chopped down by Gilks just inside the penalty area.

The striker was coolness personified from the spot, rolling the ball past Gilks, who'd dived the right way.

If The Seasiders were to win from there they'd need to come from behind, and take chances like the one presented to Fuller, who headed wide.

Pool had the right intentions, but Halliday's drive flew well off target, as Faris Haroun replaced Basham with 18 minutes remaining.

The impressive Ritchie then tested Gilks, as Craig Cathcart came on for the injured Kevin Foley, who was making his home debut.

An equaliser was looking unlikely in the final stages, and Blackpool's efforts were summed up when MacKenzie headed Dobbie's cross over the bar.

Full Time: Blackpool 0 Bournemouth 1

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block