Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 11/03/2014

11 March 2014

Report: Blackpool 1 Millwall 0

The roar around Bloomfield Road at full time summed up the Blackpool feeling perfectly, as The Seasiders' painful run of 18 games without a victory was ended with a nerve-wracking win over Millwall.

It was far from pretty, but that will be of no concern to Pool, who won for the first time under Barry Ferguson, to ease the pressure towards the bottom of The Championship.

The hosts won it thanks for a Ricardo Fuller header in the first half, when he met Tony McMahon's dangerous corner, and scrambled the ball home.

It was an exciting first period, as Ian Holloway's Millwall struck the woodwork twice, and were denied from the penalty spot at Matt Gilks.

Blackpool, who also hit the post through David Goodwillie, threw bodies on the line in the closing stages and their bravery was rewarded when the final whistle finally went, and a number of Pool players dropped to the floor.

Ferguson had made four changes to his side, looking for a difference in fortunes after Saturday's disappointment.

And luck was certainly on his side early on, as Steve Morison sprung the Pool offside trap, only to see his deft lob over Gilks and bounce back off the bar.

It was a high-intensity start and within nine minutes both sides had hit the woodwork, with Goodwillie seeing his fine curling effort cannon back off the post for Blackpool.

And it was the hosts who edged ahead 14 minutes in, it may not have been pretty, but it would prove crucial for The Seasiders.

McMahon's corner was met by the head of Fuller, and despite Millwall's best efforts on the line, it crept home and put the hosts in control.

However moments later the visitors were given a golden chance to equalise, when Kirk Broadfoot pushed Morison in the box, and the referee pointed to the spot.

Unlike on Saturday however, Gilks denied the striker, saving his spot kick to keep Pool ahead.

The drama kept on coming at Bloomfield Road, next Martyn Woolford capitalised on Broadfoot's error of judgement, before striking Gilks' near post.

A second goal was likely to prove important, and McMahon came close for Pool when he flashed a left footed effort narrowly over the bar.

No further chances would follow in the first half and Blackpool went in ahead.

Half Time: Blackpool 1 Millwall 0

After the interval Blackpool looked to extend their lead early on, and Goodwillie had an effort palmed away by David Ford. 

On the hour mark Ferguson freshened up his strike force, taking off Fuller for Steve Davies.

And it was Pool who were looking the more likely to score again, as Broadfoot headed McMahon's free-kick wide.

As the second half wore on the chances dried up, with nobody wanting to make a mistake. Paul Robinson's header went straight into Gilks' hands and the hosts could breathe again.

Substitute Davies then headed McMahon's corner wide, as the second goal continued to allude the hosts.

Desperate to cling on for the win, Gilks did well when diving to his right to keep out Shaun William's free-kick.

At the other end Goodwillie forced his way through the Millwall back line, but sliced his effort out for a throw in.

With a minute remaining Neal Bishop was given a standing ovation by the home faithful, as he was replaced by Faris Haroun.

Deep into injury time, as McMahon went down for a free-kick, you could feel the tension slowly begin to release.

And when referee Andy Madley finally blew the final whistle the roof was lifted off Bloomfield Road, as a massive three points for The Seasiders were confirmed.

Full Time: Blackpool 1 Millwall 0

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block