Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 22/03/2014

22 March 2014

Report: Blackpool 1 Huddersfield 0

Blackpool eased the pressure on themselves at the bottom of The Championships thanks to a second successive victory at Bloomfield Road.

Like last time against Millwall, Ricardo Fuller’s early goal proved the difference, as The Seasiders edged past a Huddersfield side with little to play for.

The Jamaican’s goal was a cracker, as he latched onto David Perkins’ through ball, before lashing into the roof of the net.

It was another fine team performance, full of grit and determination, and Pool could have made it more comfortable, had a series of David Goodwillie efforts been more accurate.

Barry Ferguson had made two changes to his side, bringing in Elliot Grandin and Fuller.

And his side gave him the best possible start, as they went ahead after just four minutes. Perkins gained possession in the midfield, drove forward and played in Fuller - from there the striker then did the rest, arrowing an effort high past Alex Smithies.

The Seasiders had started like a house on fire, and could have gone two ahead when a host of bodies attempted, but failed, to scramble in Kirk Broadfoot’s cross.

Soon after Gary MaKenzie’s header fell straight into Smithies’ hands, as Pool continued to dominate the opening stages.

After that the game began to settle, and Huddersfield enjoyed more possession, but Paul Dixon’s speculative effort was the best they could muster.

After 31 minutes Pool were forced into an early change as the injured Broadfoot was replaced by Kevin Foley. 

The reshuffle involved Tony McMahon moving move centrally, but no more chances would follow for either side during the opening half, as Blackpool went in ahead.

Half Time: Blackpool 1 Huddersfield 0

The Seasiders started the second half well, as the impressive Fuller teed up Grandin, whose overhead kick dropped wide of the post.

The opening 15 minutes of the second half produced little in the way of chances, the best saw Nahki Wells sting the palms of Matt Gilks with a long range drive.

For Blackpool Goodwillie remained a livewire up front, and bent an effort wide of Smithies’ goal.

Ferguson then brought Neal Bishop off the bench, and he replaced Grandin.

Soon after the hosts breathed a huge sigh of relief, after Wells bundled home from close range, only to be denied by the offside flag.

Ferguson’s last substitute of the day was used on Andy Keogh, who replaced Fuller with around ten minutes remaining.

Goodwillie could have then added a second late on, but his powerful effort was palmed to safety by Smithies as time began to run out.

Like the Millwall game, Blackpool were given a few nervy moments towards the end, but as Goodwillie fired down the throat of Smithies, with that went the last chance of the game and Pool had won.

Full Time: Blackpool 1 Huddersfield 0

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block