Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 03/10/2014

3 October 2014

Report: Blackpool 1 Cardiff 0

After two months of close-calls and heartbreak, Blackpool finally got their 2014/15 campaign well and truly up and running at the eleventh time of asking on Friday.

Bloomfield Road was a scene of jubilation at full time, as Francois Zoko's first goal in tangerine sealed a fully deserved victory over Cardiff City.

The striker fired the only goal of the contest underneath David Marshall in the 64th minute to end the long wait for a victory.

José Riga's side moved off the foot of The Championship in front of the Sky Sports cameras, as the first victory of the campaign finally arrived.

Blackpool had carved out the first opportunity of the contest, with Tony McMahon bending a left-footed effort wide of the mark.

Centre half Sean Morrison flicked Cardiff's own early chance wide of the mark, before Pool were dealt a blow with Joan Oriol unable to shake off a knock, and being replaced by Joel Dielna.

The left back was making his league debut and saw his team mate Ishmael Miller test Marshall soon after.

The striker was handed an even better chance moments later, but couldn't keep his header down from David Perkins' delivery.

Miller then returned the favour, but Perkins scuffed his effort wide from the edge of the box.

Tuesday's goal scorer turned provider again on 38 minutes, firing across goal, but Edu Oriol was unable to convert at the back post.

Cardiff offered little going forward, but did see Peter Whittingham bend a free-kick off target.

Miller then blasted over for Pool, and Cardiff's main man Kenwyne Jones shot straight at debutant Ell Parish.

It proved the final chance of a half which finished goalless.

Half Time: Blackpool 0 Cardiff 0

Few chances followed after the interval, with the first arriving in the 58th minute, as John Lundstram threw himself in the way of Fabio's effort.

John Brayford shot wide from the resulting corner, but from the next attack Blackpool edged themselves in front.

The Seasiders broke with pace through Dielna, the left back fed Zoko, who twisted and turned past his man, before firing under Marshall.

However Cardiff should have levelled just minutes later, as substitute Federico Macheda squandered his chance at the back post, getting on the end of a wicked Joe Ralls cross.

Blackpool were defending their lead resolutely and Perkins was next to deny Aron Gunnarsson.

Still creating opportunities of their own, Miller, Lundstram and Zoko all came close to doubling Blackpool's lead in the same attack, but failed to do so.

Brayford then prodded a harmless effort into the grateful hands of Parish, before the goal scorer Zoko was replaced by Nile Ranger.

With a minute of normal time remaining Blackpool had a golden chance to double their advantage, but after Miller fed Nathan Delfouneso the striker was thwarted by Marshall from a matter of yards out.

It mattered little, as Blackpool finally ended the wait for a victory and sent Bloomfield Road into raptures.

Full Time: Blackpool 1 Cardiff 0

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block