Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 18/10/2014

18 October 2014

Report: Huddersfield 4 Blackpool 2

A catastrophic opening 15 minutes of football put pay to any hopes Blackpool had of claiming back-to-back victories on Saturday.

Huddersfield Town raced into a three goal lead, and despite The Seasiders threatening a comeback, they were deservedly well beaten in West Yorkshire.

Tony McMahon and Donervon Daniels both netted their first goals for Blackpool, but they were the only bright sparks of a bizarre contest at the John Smith's Stadium.

Grant Holt  and a Harry Bunn brace had The Terriers in cruise control early on, and after Blackpool reduced the deficit, Jacob Butterfield rubber-stamped the home side's win.

In terms of starts to a football match, Blackpool couldn't have begun much worse, as they returned from the international break to find themselves 3-0 down after 15 minutes.

The hosts took the lead with their first chance of the contest. A deep cross from Conor Coady was headed goalwards by Holt, whose effort was too strong for Peter Clarke on the line.

And the shellshocked Seasiders were in danger of being cut adrift when Town went 2-0 ahead within the first 11 minutes. Joel Dielna was caught out, allowing Sean Scannell to square for Bunn to slide in his side's second.

Huddersfield were running riot, and after Bunn and Holt both went close, they made it three on 15 minutes. Dielna was again beaten by Scannell, who squared for Bunn to fire home his second and Town's third.

The third goal saw Pool change things at the back, with Dielna being replaced by Jeffrey Rentmeister.

It took The Seasiders 32 minutes to carve out their first opportunity, but Nathan Delfouneso's wayward header was wasteful after a Daniels cross.

Former-Pool loanee Holt was causing havoc, and his header was much closer, forcing Joe Lewis into a fine save.

Despite the scoreline the stopper was having a good game, and used his feet to thwart the lively Scannell, after he'd skipped past Clarke.

However in the final minute of the half Pool gave themselves a lifeline, as captain McMahon led by  example and curled in a low free-kick out of the reach of Alex Smithies.

Unbelievably there was still time for Blackpool to give themselves a real chance of getting something out of the contest. Ishmael Miller held off his man, creating ample space for Daniels to take his time and rifle home his first goal for the club.

Half Time: Huddersfield 3 Blackpool 2

After the interval Blackpool needed to continue their momentum, but had Lewis to thank for palming away Butterfield's effort, while Miller couldn't get on the end of Formose Mendy's cross at the other end.

However it was the host who had looked more like scoring next, and they duly delivered when Butterfield drilled a low effort from range away from Lewis to make it 4-2.

With 25 minutes left Francois Zoko replaced Edu Oriol, but it did little to change the game, as Delfouneso saw his downward header saved by Smithies.

Minutes later the home stopper needed the help of his post, as he fumbled John Lundstram's effort onto the woodwork and smothered himself upon the ball.

There was still time for Scannell to smash the post himself, after running in behind the Pool defence, but The Seasiders were already well beaten by that point.

Full Time: Huddersfield 4 Blackpool 2

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block