Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team Lose Out To Wigan

26 October 2014

3-1 Defeat For Kyle's Side

Blackpool Youth’s three game unbeaten run came to an end after they slumped to a 3-1 defeat at Wigan Athletic on Saturday morning.

The Seasiders had the better of the opening exchanges but second-half goals from Sam Cosgrove and a double from Louis Robles meant that Caleb Richards’ late strike was merely a consolation for Richie Kyle’s side.
It was always going to be a tough task for Blackpool, with defender Joe Moulden serving the last of his three match suspension against an experienced Latics side who were a team full of power and skill. Moulden’s continued absence meant Kyle had to start the match with four full-backs in defence and Miles Boney replaced Daniel Milton in goal.

It was ‘Pool who made the better start as the hosts struggled to get a foot-hold in the game, captain Mark Waddington and James Doyle winning the midfield battle in the early stages.
Waddington looked to play in Henry Cameron, who was returning from illness, but a last-ditch interception from the Wigan defender thwarted the move.

A cagey first-half took 24 minutes for a first chance to materialise, Cameron this time found himself in on goal and the young attacker had Dom Telford in support, but instead of squaring it to his team-mate he shot straight at the Wigan goalkeeper.

As time ticked on, the home side grew into the game. Miles Boney was called into action with a couple of saves before Luke Higham cleared one off the line as the pressure intensified.
Arnold Baxendale then struck a sweet shot just wide before midfielder Alex Cvetkovic’s thunderous drive brought a finger-tipped save from Boney which was the last action of the first-half.
Two minutes into the second-half and Wigan got the opening goal. A long ball over the top saw Louis Robles race clear, lifting the ball over the on-rushing Boney and into the far corner of the net.

All of Blackpool’s hard-work was undone and six minutes later it was two, Robles again, the former Liverpool Academy player finding himself with space and unleashing an unstoppable drive from 25 yards high into the top corner of the net leaving Boney with no chance.

By now, Wigan were rampant, and by the 67th minute they had their third. Sam Cosgrove scoring with a curled free-kick from the edge of the area to leave The Seasiders shell-shocked.

Rhys Coogan and Anthony Cato were introduced to try and get something out of the game, and Cameron had a chance for the visitors with five minutes to spare, but the Wigan defender recovered well to frustrate the wide-man.

In injury time, Blackpool finally had something to shout about, Caleb Richards pulled one back but that devastating 20-minute spell at the start of the second-half proved the difference on a chilly autumn morning at Robin Park. 

Advertisement block