Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: 10-Man Youth Suffer Defeat

28 September 2014

Kyle's Side Lose 2-0 To Oldham

Blackpool Youth suffered a 2-0 loss to Oldham Athletic at Squires Gate, with the young side having to play with ten men for a huge period of the game.

Oldham took the lead early on and following a red card for Blackpool Defender Joe Moulden, The Latics took full advantage scoring their second from the the resulting free-kick.

The Seasiders were left to wonder how the game would have panned out if Moulden had remained on the pitch, as Pool had a number of chances to get back in the game and played much better in the second-half.

Oldham had the first real opportunity of the match through their number 10 Devante Jacobs with a long range effort which was well pushed away by goalkeeper Daniel Milton.

Jacobs, who had a brilliant first-half then opened the scoring for The Latics in the 10th minute after he burst through the Blackpool defence to apply a cooly slotted finish into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

Blackpool responded well to going a goal down and following a defensive lapse in concentration, Telford found himself one-on-one with the keeper only to be denied by a last-ditch challenge from an Oldham defender. 

From the resulting corner the Oldham keeper made two fantastic saves from a Joe Moulden header and his follow up shot.

Just as Pool were beginning to build up real momentum, an off the ball altercation between Joe Moulden and Devante Jacobs left The Oldham striker on the floor and the linesman flagging to speak to the referee. After a long discussion, Moulden received a straight red, leaving Blackpool down to ten men with 60 minutes of the game remaining.

Things went from bad to worse for The Tangerines as the resulting 25-yard free kick was scored by the Oldham captain Jack Tuohy, with the ball taking a huge deflection from the wall to leave Milton wrong footed and helpless to save the 31st minute strike.

Blackpool were left stunned and nearly conceded a third immediately, however Milton came racing out of his box to close down the angle and The Latics' effort bounced just wide of the post.

Despite being down to ten men, Pool came out fighting in the second-half and Henry Cameron burst down the right and produced a lovely ball which would have only needed a touch from one of his team-mates.

Dom Telford then almost got his side back in it in spectacular fashion after he caught the keeper off guard with a low long range drive which whistled wide, just past the post.

The Seasiders continued to try and mount a comeback but despite some well-worked link play between Telford and Cameron in the 60th minute, Telford's effort curled his effort just wide from inside the box.

Oldham's chances were kept to a minimum in the second-half but they did have a chance to put the game to bed on the 70th minute mark, only to be denied by an outstretched leg from the Blackpool keeper.

With the clock ticking Blackpool refused to give up and nearly scored from a Telford corner, after a huge goal line scramble left The Latics' keeper frantically pouncing on top of the ball on the line.

Advertisement block