Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 04/04/2015

4 April 2015

Report: Bolton 1 Blackpool 1

Blackpool were denied their first away win of the season in cruel circumstances, as Eidur Gudjohnsen scrambled home an injury time equaliser for Bolton Wanderers on Easter Saturday. 

Michael Jacobs thought he'd delivered the telling contribution just nine minutes in, rifling home his first goal for the club after Jamie O'Hara had sent him clear.

Although they rode their luck at times The Seasiders would have been good value for the three points, but there would be one final twist. 

The hosts had been continually denied by a combination of Joe Lewis, Pool's defence and the woodwork, before substitute Gudjohnsen headed home on the line in the last minute of added time.

Blackpool had started the better side, and after O'Hara's opportunism with a long range effort went unrewarded, the midfielder's next contribution was a telling one. 

O'Hara sent Jacobs scampering clear, and the Wolves loanee picked his spot and lashed a half volley into the roof of the net beyond a helpless Ben Amos. 

Blackpool were impressing in the Bolton sun, and did well to keep out Matt Mills' header out soon after, before Tim Ream's effort was scrambled clear.

And when his defenders weren't there to help him Lewis was also alert to the danger, showing safe hands to catch Adam Le Fondre's effort, before Andrea Orlandi headed over for Pool.

The Seasiders continued their positive start throughout the first half, and fresh from his new deal Cubero came within inches of a second when he fizzed a deflected strike just wide.

Lewis was being kept busy at the other end however, as the stopper palmed Liam Feeney's effort away from danger after Le Fondre had wriggled free. 

Pool's number one was then well place to thwart Paddy McCarthy, who'd found space from a corner, while Barry Bannan's effort was comfortably kept out by Lewis. 

In first half stoppage time O'Hara's bending free-kick skimmed the side netting, which meant Blackpool went in just the one goal ahead.

Half Time: Bolton 0 Blackpool 1

Bolton, buoyed by the substitution of Emile Heskey, came out for the second period fired up, but David Perkins was well placed to stop the striker making an early impact when his chance arose. 

On 55 minutes a golden opportunity fell the way of the visitors to make their lead comfortable, but Clarke failed to keep his effort down, firing over from O'Hara's corner. 

As a contest it was entertaining for the neutral, as Lewis denied Tom Walker and Le Fondre steered his effort across the face of goal. 

They were getting closer, but after Le Fondre manufactured a great chance for former Pool loanee Bannan, from eight yards out the midfielder somehow rolled his effort against the upright with the goal gaping.

The home pressure was increasing as the game progressed, but Pool continued to hold firm as substitute Craig Davies curled an effort wide and Feeney's effort was held by Lewis, after he'd already headed a good chance wide.

With ten minutes left Orlandi drove a shot over, before the Spaniard was replaced by Tom Barkuizen.

There was still drama to come however. Somehow Blackpool avoided conceding in frantic circumstances, as O'Hara cleared from his own line to deny Ream, before Pool broke with Jacobs, but Cubero blew the opportunity to wrap up the win by blazing over Amos' goal.

And it proved costly as Gudjohnsen scrambled home at the death to earn Bolton a share of the spoils.

Full Time: Bolton 1 Blackpool 1

Advertisement block