Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 07/04/2015

7 April 2015

Report: Blackpool 1 Reading 1

A day after relegation to League One was confirmed Blackpool played out an uninspiring 1-1 draw with FA Cup semi-finalists Reading.

Lee Clark's men had gone a small way to lifting the gloom early on, as Gary Madine was hauled down in the box just five minutes in and Jamie O'Hara tucked away the penalty.

However for the third successive game The Seasiders surrendered a lead and were forced to settled for a 1-1 draw, as Grant Hall was the unfortunate man to find his own net.

Neither side could argue they deserved all three points, as eight minutes of added time came and went without any late drama, meaning the spoils were shared. 

The hosts wasted no time in lifting the spirits ever so slightly around Bloomfield Road. After Madine had got the wrong side of Zat Knight the defender couldn't resist in pulling back his man inside the area. O'Hara confidently stepped up to send Adam Federici the wrong way from 12 yards. 

Blackpool deserved their lead against Reading, who perhaps had one eye on their Wembley trip, as Hal Robson-Kanu's wayward effort was the best they could muster early on.

Having converted their first successful penalty of the campaign Pool had the taste for it, but appealed in vain as Andrea Orlandi's effort appeared to cannon off an arm. 

Fresh from his goal at the weekend Michael Jacobs was then denied by some solid Reading defending, before Garath McCleary shot over in response. 

A minute before the break the majority of those inside Bloomfield Road thought Pool had gone 2-0 ahead, but Jacobs' rasping volley fired into the side netting, rather than the bottom corner. 

And in added time they were almost punished, as former Everton striker Yakubu found half a yard of space inside Pool's box, but wasted the opportunity by firing straight at Joe Lewis, as the first half drew to a close.

Half Time: Blackpool 1 Reading 0

Brought on at the break to make an impact, Pavel Pogrebnyak instantly made the difference in the second half, powering down the left before squaring for Yakubu to fire home the equaliser via Hall.

In attempting to keep his side level Hall was injured, being replaced by Niall Maher.

The Royals emerged for the second half a different side, and another substitute Jamie Mackie tested Lewis moments later. At the other end David Perkins bent an effort narrowly wide for The Seasiders.

Clark's men were then dealt a blow on 73 minutes, as Lewis was forced off injured, meaning Ell Parish was back between the sticks, before Bright Osayi-Samuel replaced Orlandi for the final 12 minutes.

A Reading set piece gave Pool a moment of concern, but Alex Pearce's header dropped the right side of the bar, while Madine glanced a header wide for the hosts.

Madine's injury time header could have earned Pool all three points, but Federici held on. And at the other end Reading wasted a golden chance, as Pogrebnyak glanced a header wide from close range. 

Full Time: Blackpool 1 Reading 1

Advertisement block