Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 11/04/2015

11 April 2015

Report: Ipswich 3 Blackpool 2

With Lee Clark now building towards next season, the early signs continue to be positive for Blackpool, despite a late Ipswich Town goal condemning them to a first defeat in four matches on Saturday.

The loss of three key men in the week had no bearing on Blackpool's performance, as they gave a good account of themselves at Portman Road, but were breached late on by their play-off-chasing hosts.

Andrea Orlandi had stunned The Tractor Boys with a fifth-minute opener in the East Anglia sun, before Freddy Sears struck twice to have his side in control at the break.

It's a control they relinquished momentary however, when Henry Cameron claimed his first goal in professional football, but Christophe Berra had the final say when he headed home at the back post. 

Despite the hosts being in the greater need of three points, it was Blackpool who seized the initiative early on. After Cameron scampered clear down the left his cut back was inviting for Orlandi to side-foot home the opener four minutes in.

Stunned by the early goal Ipswich looked to make amends early on, but Teddy Bishop's curling effort failed to trouble Ell Parish. The midfielder then turned provider soon after, but his inch-perfect corner was wasted by Luke Varney, who glanced a header wide.

It was left for former West Ham United man Sears to show him how it's done, capitalising on a loose ball inside Pool's area to hit a sweet volley into the top corner away from Parish.

And it took the striker no time to complete the turnaround. Orlandi's miss-hit clearance fell straight to Sears, who nudged his effort underneath Parish to make it 2-1. 

From there it was the hosts in the ascendency, but they failed to cause further damage to Blackpool, who'd replaced the injured Darren O'Dea with David Ferguson.

Half Time: Ipswich 2 Blackpool 1 

After the interval Ipswich's leading marksman Daryl Murphy looked to get in on the act, but fired wide on his left foot. And he was almost punished minutes later when Berra's back header crept past his own goalkeeper, but also the right-hand post.

Next Tyrone Mings' long throw was almost headed home by Murphy, before Sears wasted two golden opportunities to wrap up his hat-trick. First the striker curled into the arms of Parish, before blasting at the stopper after twisting into space. 

Sears continued to search for his treble, but fired well wide with his third effort in as many minutes, before Pool pulled themselves back level. Orlandi's free-kick caught Mings napping, which allowed Madine to cross for Cameron, who'd got in front of his marker to knock home. 

Instantly after the restarted Mings blazed over from inside The Seasiders' box, before Blackpool replaced goalscorer Cameron with Bright Osayi-Samuel. 

Looking to retake the lead as the game approached the closing stages, Madine headed over Jamie O'Hara's corner. However with seven minutes remaining Ipswich regained the advantage, as Berra nodded home Murphy's deep cross. 

There would be no further twist unfortunately, as Blackpool brought Nathan Delfouneso on late in the day, before Madine headed wide in injury time.

Full Time: Ipswich 3 Blackpool 2

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block