Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 14/04/2015

14 April 2015

Report: Derby 4 Blackpool 0

After a string of improved performances in recent weeks Blackpool were brought back down to earth with a bump by Derby County, who gave their play-off charge a shot in the arm with a resounding win.

There was no looking back for The Seasiders after they fell behind just three minutes in, and poor defending made things easy for the hosts.

Craig Bryson and Tom Ince were both on target, while Darren Bent scored either side of half time, the second being a penalty, to give the scoreline a dominant look.

Blackpool were restricted to half chances at the iPro Stadium, with Andrea Orlandi squandering the best of them when he shot wide of Lee Grant's goal, but The Rams were good value for their win.

Despite the league standings it was Blackpool who posed a threat early on, but Jamie O'Hara's effort was comfortably saved by Grant.

However what looked a difficult task pre-match became colossal in less than three minutes, as Bryson charged through The Seasiders unopposed and watched his long range effort beat Ell Parish. 

The goal arrived with Derby's first shot, but Charles Dunne almost replied instantly for Blackpool when he swiped O'Hara's corner wide.

However it was The Rams dominating proceedings, and their lead could have looked more comfortable had Parish not denied Simon Dawkins, before Ince shot over. 

Parish saved again from Dawkins moments later, but Blackpool's Darren O'Dea wasted a golden opportunity to level the scores when he headed over O'Hara's corner when unmarked. 

But it was always the hosts who looked likely to net again, and two goals in a matter of seconds made gave the scoreline a dominant look. 

First Ince bit the hand that used to feed him, creating space for himself, before rolling into the bottom corner with his left foot. Notably the winger opted to not celebrate against his former club.

Derby were getting a helping hand from Pool, who shot themselves in the foot straight from kick-off. Dunne's back pass sent Bent clean through, and the former England striker made no mistake with the finish.

There would be no further action in the first half, as Blackpool went in for the break 3-0 down. 

Half Time: Derby 3 Blackpool 0

After the interval the one way traffic continued, and once Ince was denied by the legs of Parish, Jesse Lingard fired over with the goal gaping.

54 minutes in Blackpool made their first change, with Tom Barkhuizen replacing Niall Maher.

And moments later they should have reduced the deficit, when Orlandi predicated a defensive effort by Ryan Shotton, but couldn't keep his effort on target when under pressure from Grant.

However the Spaniard's error led to Derby's fourth, as Shotton got the wrong side of him, forcing Orlandi to haul back his man inside the area. Bent fired his spot-kick into the top corner, giving Parish no chance. 

Luckily the striker's next effort failed to wield the hat-trick, as Bent raced away from Peter Clarke, but saw his effort deflected just wide by the recovering defender.

Bright Osayi-Samuel replaced Henry Cameron for the closing stages at the iPro Stadium.

And José Cubero headed the final chance of the contest over in injury time, as Blackpool suffered a second defeat in four days.

Full Time: Derby 4 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block