Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 18/04/2015

18 April 2015

Report: Blackpool 0 Fulham 1

In a game which will be quickly forgotten, Fulham all but secured Championship safety as they edged past a lacklustre Blackpool side at Bloomfield Road.

Matt Smith's early header proved the decider, diverting Sean Kavanagh's cross past a motionless Ell Parish.

Blackpool had their chances, most notably in the first half, the best of which saw Henry Cameron denied by the woodwork.

Simply put, it's another game closer to the end of the season, where Blackpool's rebuilding job will eventfully get under way.

Out of keeping with what was to come, the contest started lively, with Blackpool carving out a number of openings.

It took them just four minutes to provide Fulham with the first scare however, as Cameron passed up two brilliant openings. Both times being fed by Gary Madine, firstly the youngster rolled an effort against the foot of the post, before Marcus Bettinelli produced a fine save to deny him.

And Blackpool were made to pay for their wastefulness with the visitors' first chance of the contest. Kavanagh's cross was perfectly onto the head of Smith, and his effort crept past Parish into his bottom-left corner.

Smith was causing havoc inside the Pool box, next he capitalised on an error from Charles Dunne, but blazed his effort into the North Stand, before he headed Ross McCormack's corner wide.

On 22 minutes The Seasiders fashioned a presentable opportunity for José Cubero, but his header from Jamie O'Hara's corner flew over the bar. O'Hara attempted to draw his side level himself next, but the midfielder's free-kick cannoned into Fulham's wall and away to safety.

The Seasiders failed to create any further chances in the half, as they went in for the break 1-0 down.

Half Time: Blackpool 0 Fulham 1

After the break Blackpool started on the front foot, and O'Hara was a lick of paint away from equalising with a sweetly struck effort. At the other end substitute Cauley Woodrow headed over when unmarked from a Fulham set piece. 

Looking to kill the game off, Kavanagh saw a cross-shot parried by Parish, before Cubero dragged an effort wide for the hosts. And when Danny Guthrie squirmed a shot wide Pool opted to change Tom Barkhuizen with Niall Maher.

With little action to follow Blackpool made their following two substitutions in quick succession, as Andrea Orlandi and David Perkins were replaced by Dom Telford and Nathan Delfouneso. 

And the latter was instantly involved, pouncing on an error from Bettinelli, but seeing his effort roll across the face of goal. Fulham's captain McCormack continued to look for the killer second, but curled into the arms of Parish. 

The contest was continuing to produce little in the way of excitement, despite Cameron curling a free-kick narrowly over. Telford was next to fire over for Pool, as the equaliser failed to materialise.

Fulham squandered a terrific chance to seal the win when Woodrow ran clear but was halted by Parish, before Madine's outstanding effort was tipped around the post by Bettinelli at the death.

Full Time: Blackpool 0 Fulham 1 

Advertisement block