Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 22/08/2015

22 August 2015

Report: Sheff Utd 2 Blackpool 0

Blackpool’s winless start to the season continued at Bramall Lane thanks to two second-half Sheffield United strikes.

Until the hour-mark The Seasiders had stuck to their game plan and frustrated their hosts, but they were finally worn down by Billy Sharp. 

The striker put The Blades ahead, before substitute Marc McNulty curled home the killer second to condemn Pool to another defeat.

Neil McDonald’s men enjoyed chances that were few and far between in South Yorkshire, with David Ferguson striking the post on another disappointing afternoon.

It took 19 minutes for the slow-burner to begin to warm up, and had Ferguson’s piledriver nested into the top corner, rather than the Bramall Lane Kop, he would have cranked up the heat further. 

A succession of Sheffield United corners followed that opening, with former Blackpool midfielder Chris Basham heading the final set piece over the bar.

It took near to 30 minutes for the first shot on target, and Kyle Letheren had no qualms in smothering Conor Sammon’s weak effort when it arrived.

Blackpool first real treat to Mark Howard’s goal came from a dead ball, but Clark Robertson’s header from Henry Cameron’s free-kick was easily caught by the stopper. 

The best chance of the half fell to Derby County loanee Sammon, but after good work from Keiran Wallace, the striker’s powerful effort was deflected over by some brave defending from Tom Aldred. 

Half-Time: Sheff Utd 0 Blackpool 0

Straight after the interval Blackpool almost stunned the vast majority of the 20,199 inside Bramall Lane, as Ferguson’s free-kick cannoned back off Howard’s left-hand post. 

That sprung the contest into life and Sharp almost gave the hosts the lead, but his effort was deflected into the path of an offside Che Adams. 

His striker partner Sammon was next to threaten and he looked certain to score after Jamal Campbell-Ryce had bullied his way down the right, but the striker unbelievably dragged his effort wide when left unmarked inside the six-yard box. 

Sharp made up for Sammon’s error however, as the breakthrough finally came on the hour-mark. Campbell-Ryce’s clever corner saw Basham block off Emmerson Boyce, allowing Sharp to squeeze an effort underneath Letheren. 

68 minutes in McDonald opted for his first change, replacing Cameron with Jack Redshaw.

However, the substitution had little bearing on the game and The Blades extended their lead when McNulty curled beyond Letheren from the edge of the box.

The game now looked beyond Blackpool, but they did freshen things up for the final ten minutes, bringing on Jose Cubero and Kwame Thomas for Connor Oliver and Mark Cullen. 

As the clock approached the 90-minute mark Brad Potts had a long-range effort tipped behind by Howard, but Pool failed to cause any further problems.

Full-Time: Sheff Utd 2 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block