Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 12/12/2015

12 December 2015

Report: Wigan 0 Blackpool 1

Tom Aldred’s first goal in tangerine earned Blackpool three fantastic points away at high-flying Wigan Athletic and moved Neil McDonald’s side out of the League One drop zone. 

The centre-half headed home David Ferguson’s inch-perfect corner before the break and that sealed the contest.

A fixture played out in torrid conditions, The Seasiders fully deserved their victory, after showing great resilience to thwart their hosts.

It could have been more had Ferguson’s own effort not been brilliantly saved, but one was enough to seal Pool’s second successive win. 

Once initial fears regarding the pitch were distilled Blackpool got down to action, and a fingertip save from Jussi Jaaskelainen prevented Ferguson’s rocket opening the scoring early on. 

The former West Ham United stopper was being kept busy by The Seasiders, but shouldn’t have been given a chance when the on-side Mark Cullen headed into his arms, after latching onto Jim McAlister’s pass.

The torrential conditions were putting pay to any eye-catching football which threatened to spark out and that was typified when Elliot Lee saw his effort blocked by Leon Barnett. 

High-flying Wigan were struggling to get going and when they get into Pool’s area Dean Lyness was on hand to clear Don Cowie’s cross. 

And that opening spurred Blackpool on to take a deserved lead on 37 minutes. Ferguson’s in-swinging cross was perfect for Aldred to head home his first goal for the club from close range. 

The Latics responded with a deflected Will Grigg effort, which rolled wide of the mark, before Max Power bent a free-kick harmlessly over the bar, as Pool went in for the break with their noses in front. 

Half-Time: Wigan 0 Blackpool 1

After the break Wigan improved and former Seasider Donervon Daniels came off the bench to head over a Power corner, before the midfielder shot off target himself soon after.

Lee had run himself into the ground on his first Blackpool start and was taken off for Martin Paterson mid-way through the second-half. 

While they weren’t testing Lyness between the sticks, Wigan had upped their game and it was only a full-blooded challenge from Clark Robertson which denied Reece James a likely equaliser. 

Instantly after that the goalkeeper was call upon, and excelled to tip over Grigg’s effort at full-stretch. Emmerson Boyce was then given a heroes’ welcome on his return to Wigan when he replaced Will Aimson, before John Herron followed soon after for Cullen.  

Three minutes from time another former Pool man threatened, by Lyness was equal to Michael Jacobs’ low effort. 

Hayden White could have added further gloss to the scoreline with a late second but Blackpool were happy with the one which sealed three crucial points.

Full-Time: Wigan 0 Blackpool 1

Advertisement block