Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 10/02/2015

10 February 2015

Report: Blackpool 1 Middlesbrough 2

Middlesbrough moved top of The Championship and deepened Blackpool's relegation concerns after two of three goals in seven minutes fell the way of Boro.
The slow burner finally kicked into life with nine minutes remaining when Jonathan Woodgate planted a header past Joe Lewis.
The hosts were gifted a route back into the contest when Ben Gibson headed into his own net, but parity lasted just two minutes.
It was left for Kike to claim the points for Boro, as his header cannoned off the underside of the bar on the way in.
Accustomed to the rugged nature of the Bloomfield Road pitch, the hosts settled quickly and saw Charles Dunne trickle an effort at Dimitrios Konstantopoulos, before Adam Forshaw dragged a golden chance wide for Boro.
From there Jamie O'Hara wasted a number of good set piece opportunities, before Daniel Ayala headed Boro's own corner into the grateful arms of Lewis.
Scrapping was the name of the game for the evening, and Blackpool were more than holding their own against the visitors, who knew three points could take them top.
Dom Telford saw an effort blocked by a flurry of Middlesbrough  bodies, but ultimately the two sides would go in for the break level.
Half Time: Blackpool 0 Middlesbrough 0
After the interval, with Aitor Karanka's team talk ringing in their ears, Boro started on the front foot, but Darren O'Dea put enough pressure on Jelle Vossen to ensure the striker shot wide.
Three minutes into the second period Dunne finally gave way to a niggle which had bugged him before the break, meaning Bolton loanee Niall Maher came on for a Blackpool debut.
The best chance of the contest arrived on 58 minutes as Adam Clayton played in Kike, who hit a low effort which was brilliantly kept out by the feet of Lewis.
Two minutes later Gary Madine came on for his first Blackpool appearance, replacing Steven Davies on the day he arrived from Sheffield Wednesday.
But it was Kike causing all the problems, and the eight-goal striker outpaced O'Dea soon after before rolling an effort wide. Boro were now dominating and saw Clayton take the responsibility himself next, but he shot over.
73 minutes in Pool opted for a change, which saw Nathan Delfouneso replace Henry Cameron. And The Seasiders were grateful to their goalkeeper soon after, as Lewis got to Grant Leadbitter's flick before the lively Kike.
All the chances were falling to Boro, who saw Forshaw blaze over next, however their opener finally arrived with ten minutes remaining when Woodgate planted a header past Lewis from Clayton's corner.
The Seasiders did momentarily haul themselves level when Gibson headed past his own goalkeeper, but that goal would quickly be cancelled out. Lee Tomlin was given time and space to cross for Kike to bullet a header in off the bar.
Blackpool piled bodies forward late on in search of a second equaliser, but Peter Clarke's weak header was the best they could muster.

Full Time: Blackpool 1 Middlesbrough 2

Advertisement block