Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 21/02/2015

21 February 2015

Report: Blackburn 1 Blackpool 1

Grant Hall's header earned Blackpool a hard-fought point in Saturday's Lancashire derby, as Blackpool came from behind to deny Blackburn Rovers.
The hosts had edged ahead early on when Jordan Rhodes applied the simplest of finishes to Craig Conway's cross, but The Seasiders had passion in abundance.
The returning Hall earned Lee Clark's side a point when he converted Jamie O'Hara's free-kick minutes before the break.
It could have been all three had a later O'Hara free-kick not rebounded off the post, while Rudy Gestede was twice denied by the upright for the hosts.
Despite a positive start to the afternoon for Blackpool, where Peter Clarke tested Jason Steele, it didn't take the hosts too long to get their noses in front. Conway skipped past Niall Maher and put his cross on a plate for Rhodes to tap home from a matter of yards out.
Joe Lewis had been left terribly exposed for the goal, but was alert himself moments later to fly off his line and save at the feet of Matt Kilgallon. At the other end Dom Telford blazed over when well positioned.
Two lengthy breaks in play did little to upset Rovers' rhythm however, and Kilgallon steered a volley over, before Rhodes shot wide for the hosts. However they failed to build on their advantage, allowing Blackpool to level proceedings before the break.
O'Hara's floated free-kick was directed goalwards by Clarke, and Hall adjusted quickly to nod past Steele into the bottom corner. The loanee's header not only made it 1-1, but was also the 1,000th Championship goal of the season.
And in a complete turnaround The Seasiders could have led by the break. O'Hara's brilliant free-kick struck the inside of the post and then hit Steele, before Hall crashed the rebound into the side netting.
Half Time: Blackburn 1 Blackpool 1
After the break Rhodes' acrobatic effort almost had Blackburn ahead again straight after the break, while Gestede glanced Conway's corner onto the crossbar.
The Seasiders then opted to change their hand twice within a couple of minutes, as Tony McMahon and Nathan Delfouneso replaced Telford and Henry Cameron.
However it was one-way traffic after the break, and Gestede was denied by the upright again when he headed Tom Cairney's cross onto the bar.
Unfortunately for Blackpool's Maher his afternoon was cut short, as he finally gave way to injury and was replaced by Joe Rothwell. In terms of action Gary Madine fired into the side netting with his left foot.
With six minutes remaining Delfouneso's snapshot ensured Steele was kept on his toes, while Rhodes drifted a header wide for the hosts. And the striker was denied in the final minute of the 90 when Lewis saved down to his left.
As three minutes of added time were announced Chris Brown fired wide for Blackburn, while Alex Baptiste squandered the final chance at the death, as Pool claimed a point.
Full Time: Blackburn 1 Blackpool 1
By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block