Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 24/02/2015

24 February 2015

Report: Brentford 4 Blackpool 0

Brentford outclassed 10-man Blackpool on Tuesday evening, as Lee Clark's side suffered another dreadful away day.
The visitors barely registered a shot of note throughout the 90 minutes, and Charles Dunne's straight red card did them no favours.
Jon Toral scored twice in two minutes from close range to have The Bees in cruise control at Griffin Park, before Dunne's high tackle left Pool a man light.
Blackpool's torrid evening only worsened after the break, as Andre Gray shot home and Toral tapped in his hat-trick goal.
It could have been worse for The Seasiders had goalkeeper Joe Lewis not produced save after save to deny Brentford adding further gloss to the scoreline.
With Brentford harbouring realistic hopes of reaching the play-offs they dominated early on, but a blocked Moses Odubajo effort was all they had to show for a dominant first five minutes, and Blackpool could barely get a touch before Jota lashed over the bar soon after.
An onrushing Gary Madine failed to get on the end of Pool's own early opening, as his outstretched leg avoided a drilled cross from Dunne. And in a carbon copy move at the other end Gray was equally as frustrated, as Alex Pritchard's centre evaded him.
However the hosts took the lead with their next attack, as Jonathan Douglas got the better of David Perkins before squaring for Toral to pick his spot and fire underneath Lewis.
And the midfielder helped himself to the second two minutes later, nodding home Gray's cross at the back post to reward Brentford's dominance.
25 minutes in Blackpool opted for an early change, with Nathan Delfouneso replacing Tom Aldred. But still The Bees looked the more threatening, and Lewis did brilliantly to save from Gray with his chest, following a quickly taken free-kick.
Toral then dragged an effort wide for the hosts, while  Jamie O'Hara's long range effort was deflected over in front of the Griffin Park terrace, and in shooting the midfielder injured himself, and was forced off for Connor Oliver.
The following corner was then headed into David Button's hands by Grant Hall, before Joe Rothwell flashed an effort wide of the mark. However The Seasiders' chances of getting anything from the contest were dealt a major blow on 44 minutes.
Dunne's high tackle on Jota was deemed as serious foul play by the referee, who brandished a straight red card for the defender. And from the resulting free-kick Pritchard's effort skimmed the side netting, which proved to be the final incident of the half.
Half Time: Brentford 2 Blackpool 0
After the break Brentford continued their high intensity, as Lewis denied Pritchard, before Toral fired into the side netting. The stopper then showed his bravery to deny Toumani Diagouraga.
Gray was next to see a shot saved by Lewis, but Brentford's top goalscorer wouldn't be denied, rolling home the third on 52 minutes. Clark reacted by replacing Steven Davies with David Ferguson.
Their goalkeeper was Blackpool's only shining light, as Lewis stuck out a hand to deny Toral his treble. Odubaja fired over with ten minutes remaining, as the hosts began to take their foot off the gas a little.
Lewis was by far Pool's Man of the Match, and got down low to keep out Pritchard's strike. But in the 88th minute it was four, as Toral knocked home his fourth following a corner.
Hall poked a late Blackpool shot at Button, as Blackpool left London well beaten.
Full Time: Brentford 4 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block