Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Fight Back At Bury

23 February 2015

Kyle's Side Draw 2-2

Richie Kyle's youth side fought back to draw 2-2 against North West Youth Alliance league leaders Bury at Squires Gate on Saturday.

With Blackpool finding themselves 2-0 down against the run of play after 35 minutes, a Joe Moulden header on the stroke of half time and a Tyler Rufus goal secured the comeback.

Although The Seasiders were unable to claim their first victory of the year, the team produced a magnificent display and were perhaps unlucky not turn the game around completely to claim all three of the points.

Both teams started the game in a lively fashion with the match being played end-to-end from the off. The Shakers took an early lead in the 9th minute thanks to Brayden Shaw. The attacking midfielder found himself one-on-one with the trialist keeper after beating his man, before coolly slotting home from close-range.

With the match continuing in a fast paced manner, Kit Gregory produced a fine bit of skill down the right hand side before drilling in a low cross to Tyler Rufus, with the striker's volley stinging the palms of the Bury keeper Jack Ruddy.

Five minutes later and Bury nearly doubled their lead in spectacular fashion with Scott Burgess’ free-kick beating the wall, only to be denied by the post leaving the keeper stranded.

Blackpool remained in the game and in the 30th minute Luke Higham found himself with the ball inside the 18-yard box, with his left-footed effort producing an impressive save from Ruddy’s feet.

Minutes later Bury scored their second of the game with Shaw scoring his second of the match in similar circumstances to his first, with the midfielder firing home from close range leaving the Pool keeper with no chance.

With Blackpool seemingly going into the break with a two goal deficit, captain Joe Moulden rose above the Bury defence to fire home a header from a James Doyle cross, handing Kyle’s young side a huge boost going into the break just one goal down.

Unlike the first-half, the opening 15 minutes of the second stage was much scrappier with both teams struggling to retain possession and create opportunities.

Alieu Njie was presented with the first chance of the second period with his long range effort well saved by Ruddy in the 61st minute.

Blackpool were beginning to apply real pressure in search of the equaliser and Elliott Pond’s close-range header flew agonizingly wide with 20 minutes remaining. Seconds later and Higham beat his man on the left to reach the byline but his cutback was desperately blocked with Pond waiting to score a tap-in into an empty net.

In the 74th minute Blackpool’s pressure finally paid off with Rufus’ goal drawing The Seasiders back level. The striker’s goal came thanks to his persistence as he charged down a clearance from inside the Bury box that deflecting into The Shakers’ net.

Blackpool defended admirably during the closing stages and The Seasiders' keeper was only called upon once producing a fine one handed save from a miss-hit cross, handing Blackpool an impressive 2-2 draw against Bury.

Blackpool Team: Trialist, Kit Gregory, Luke Higham, James Doyle, Sam Roscoe, Joe Moulden, Bright Samuel, Anthony Cato, Elliott Pond, Tyler Rufus, Alieu Njie (Caleb Richards 68)

Advertisement block