Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 04/01/2015

4 January 2015

Report: Aston Villa 1 Blackpool 0

Blackpool were dumped out of the FA Cup in cruel fashion, as Christian Benteke put Aston Villa through with a fine strike a minute from time.
The Seasiders had more than held their own against Premier League opposition and arguably deserved a replay for their endeavour.
Andrea Orlandi and Ishmael Miller both came close for Lee Clark's men, who finally succumbed to the pressure when Benteke crashed an effort past Joe Lewis.
It's back to Championship action for Pool now, but they'll take heart from a brave performance at Villa Park.
Naturally Aston Villa had settled quickly on their own patch, but Jores Okore's sliced effort at the back post was all they had to show for their early dominance.
The Seasiders saw Jamie O'Hara denied by Villa's defence, while Benteke's header at Lewis was from an offside position at the other end.
27 minutes in a training ground routine almost paid off for Blackpool, as O'Hara's corner found Orlandi on the edge of the box, but the midfielder's volley flew narrowly wide of the mark.
On his return to Villa Park Nathan Delfouneso was determined to impress, but a long-range effort on the half-hour mark did little to unsettle Shay Given.
Orlandi, starting his first match since November, was impressing for the visitors, and his deflected effort forced the former Republic of Ireland stopper to tip around the post.
For the Premier League side Tom Cleverley blazed an effort over, while Alan Hutton's deflected strike landed perfectly into the grateful hands of Lewis.
Villa's best opening came on the stroke of half time. Benteke latched onto Jack Grealish's through ball, before crashing his strike into Pool's side netting.
There was still time for a Blackpool half chance however, as Delfouneso glanced a header into Given's hands from a O'Hara free-kick.
Half Time: Aston Villa 0 Blackpool 0
After the break Blackpool continued from where they'd left off, and Delfouneso was guilty of squandering a decent opportunity, so was thankful to see the linesman's flag save his blushes.
Ashley Westwood then shot straight at Lewis, before Miller replaced Steven Davies.
Blackpool's goalkeeper had enjoyed a quiet first hour to the clash, but was at his best to push Benteke's drive onto the post for his side.
The chances dried up from that point, until Miller's rocket was tipped over by Given at full stretch. The Seasiders were then let off the hook at the other end as Okore headed wide with Lewis stranded.
With three minutes remaining, moments after wasting a good opportunity, Orlandi was replaced by Tom Barkhuizen, who was making his first appearance of the season.
However with on 89 minutes Villa finally broke the deadlock, as Benteke took it on the chest and crashed an effort past Lewis.
There was still time for O'Hara to volley wide, before Dom Telford replaced Mark Waddington.
However there would be no further drama, and Blackpool's FA Cup campaign ended at the first hurdle.
Full Time: Aston Villa 1 Blackpool 0
By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block