Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 17/01/2015

17 January 2015

Report: Wolves 2 Blackpool 0

Two late goals at Molineux finally broke Blackpool's resistance, as Wolves ran out 2-0 winners against the luckless Seasiders.
The home side's pressure finally told when Dave Edwards scrambled home their opener, before Benik Afobe profited from some calamitous Blackpool defending to wrap things up.
Pool had remained more than competitive until that point, but lacked a threat in the final third throughout the contest and went home empty handed.
The occasion began with the Molineux faithful paying their respects to Sir Jack Hayward, and Blackpool added their own wreath which was placed behind the goal pre-match by Tony McMahon.
It terms of the actual contest the first ten minutes were a non-affair, with Nathan Delfouneso lashing over the only effort on goal, before James Henry hit a carbon-copy strike over Pool's bar.
The midfielder's next effort was considerably better, but it still curled some way off Joe Lewis' goal. And it was the natives getting restless, as Blackpool began to work their way into the contest.
First McMahon's cross gave Steven Davies the perfect opportunity for a cheeky backheel, which was goalbound until Danny Batth got in the way, before Andrea Orlandi forced Carl Ikeme into an easy save soon after.
Davies had a taste for causing problems, and next had Ikeme diving to his left to gather the striker's shot, while Edwards curled off target for the hosts.
Then Wolves' number four squandered the best chance of the half by a country mile. After robbing Peter Clarke of possession the midfielder strode forward, but never looked comfortable and dragged his effort well wide.
Half Time: Wolves 0 Blackpool 0
After the break The Seasiders maintained their solidity, but lacked the killer instinct when a number of free-kicks around the home penalty area were wasted.
The work rate was clear for all to see however, and some brave defending from Clarke and Charles Dunne helped calm the hype following Afobe's introduction.
On 67 minutes Pool made their first change, with Alex Henshall replacing Connor Oliver, while Darren O'Dea followed minutes later after injury cut short Grant Hall's afternoon.
It was the hosts in the ascendency though, and Lewis did well to thwart Rajiv van La Parra with his legs. Next Jack Price bent an effort off target, with Blackpool continuing to ride their luck.
With eight minutes remaining Islam Feruz was handed his debut, with Davies making way.
However with six minutes remaining Wolves' pressure finally told, van La Parra got the better of Dunne, and his cross into the corridor of uncertainty was knocked home by Edwards.
With that Pool lost their heads, and the hosts quickly made it two. A calamitous collision between O'Dea and Lewis allowed Afobe to waltz through and tap home a debut goal.
That was that, and Blackpool were defeat in the West Country.

Full Time: Wolves 2 Blackpool 0

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block