Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Accrington Stanley 1 Blackpool 1

31 July 2015

Friendly Ends All Square

Blackpool were denied victory in their final friendly of the summer by an Accrington Stanley equaliser late in the day at The Crown Ground.

Neil McDonald’s men had looked en route to finish in style after Bright Osayi-Samuel’s individual strike, but a piece of quality from Stanley’s Seamus Conneely ensured it finished all square.

Nevertheless, The Seasiders have now gone the whole of pre-season unbeaten and McDonald was given further opportunity to gauge an opinion on his players before the League One campaign gets underway. 

Despite Accrington enjoying the lion’s share of the early possession, Blackpool carved out the first real opportunity of the contest, but Mark Cullen’s close range effort was blocked by some tidy home defending. 

The first opening spurred Pool on for more and they came within inches of taking the lead on 16 minutes. Jack Redshaw exchanged passed with fellow striker Cullen, before firing an effort whiskers wide of the mark. 

The next close call came from a set piece, as David Ferguson’s free-kick whistled narrowly wide of David Mooney’s goal.

It took until the 41st minute for the hosts to threaten the Pool goal, but after ploughing forward Josh Windass’ effort was always rising, and it proved to be the final action of a forgettable half at The Crown Ground.

Half time: Accrington Stanley 0 Blackpool 0

After the break Stanley skipper Terry Gornell fired the first warning sign, wriggling through and shooting wide. At the other end good enterprise from Osayi-Samuel went to waste when Henry Cameron’s shot cannoned off Cullen. 

Piero Mingoia then tested Colin Doyle, before the stopper did even better to thwart Adam Morgan with his feet, aware of the offside flag being raised.

The breakthrough finally arrived on 68 minutes and it was through another piece of individual brilliant from Osayi-Samuel. The winger caused havoc down the left, cut inside and fired into the bottom corner in front of the traveling fans. 

As for Stanley, Matt Crooks looped a header over the bar and former Seasider Gerardo Bruna saw his free-kick tipped over by Doyle. 

As the contest entered the final ten minutes Cullen shot wide from Adam Drury’s corner before the hosts found an equaliser late in the day.

A stylish finish from the edge of the box by Conneely flew past Doyle and was enough to ensure Blackpool’s final friendly of the summer finished all square. 

Full time: Accrington Stanley 1 Blackpool 1

Team: Doyle, Boyce (Aldred 46), Jones, Robertson, Ferguson, Cameron (Drury 63), Potts, McAlister, Osayi-Samuel (Dunne 85), Redshaw (Thomas 46), Cullen.

Advertisement block