Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 17/03/2015

17 March 2015

Report: Blackpool 0 Charlton 3

Charlton showed their clinical nature and plunged Blackpool closer towards relegation from The Championship after a resounding 3-0 victory at Bloomfield Road.

The hosts saw plenty of the ball in fairness, but devastating finishing from The Addicks proved the difference. 

Chris Eagles returned to Bloomfield Road and punished his former employers with the opener, before Simon Church fired home the killer second.

A brilliant whipped free-kick from Johann Berg Gudmundsson added insult to injury to a Blackpool side shot of confidence and ideas.  

It was The Seasiders who registered the first shot on goal, but Andrea Orlandi's curling effort forced an elementary save from Stephen Henderson, while Joe Gomez headed over from a corner for Charlton.

However the opening 20 minutes of the contest were largely uneventful, even after Tom Barkhuizen fired narrowly over the bar from the edge of the box. 

Telford was next to ask questions of the Charlton backline, but his flick from Orlandi's free-kick sailed well over the crossbar, while the Spaniard came closer minutes later, dragging an effort past Henderson's near post. 

It was Pool playing all the positive football but continued to miss-fire, as Miles Addison shot wide of the mark, before Dom Telford suffered a similar fate with his left footed strike, following a breakaway. 

However they were hit by a sucker punch on 31 minutes. The Addicks broke away with pace, and after Joe Lewis denied Tony Watt with a brilliant one-handed save, Eagles was on hand to tap in the rebound.

Still searching for his first Blackpool goal, David Perkins attempted a reply, but shot down the throat of Henderson, as the visitors went in ahead.

Half Time: Blackpool 0 Charlton 1

After the break Pool looked lively, and could have levelled had Barkhuizen's effort with the outside of his foot curled the right side of the post. 

The hosts looked to be turning the screw when Perkins tested Henderson, but The Addicks doubled their lead in scrappy fashion moments later. Gudmundsson's shot was bundled into the path of Church, who gobbled up the opportunity, firing into the roof of the net. 

Moments before the goal Lee Clark had brought on Nathan Delfouneso and José Miguel Cubero in place of Michael Jacobs and Perkins.

It was shaping into Charlton's evening, highlighted when Orlandi blazed over at the back post. Gary Madine then hit a spectacular effort into the arms of Henderson. 

Clark then opted to replace Orlandi with Bright Osayi-Samuel on 78 minutes, and the winger was instantly involved, forcing Henderson to tip over at full stretch. 

However Pool's misery was completed with two minutes left, as Gudmundsson bent a brilliant free-kick into the top corner, and it proved to be the final goal of another disappointing evening for Pool.

Full Time: Blackpool 0 Charlton 3

Advertisement block