Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 21/03/2015

21 March 2015

Report: Blackpool 1 Leeds 1

Blackpool registered their first point in seven matches after Gary Madine netted in an entertaining draw with Leeds United.

After Andrea Orlandi's sweetly struck free-kick came back off the upright Madine was on hand to gobble up his third goal for the club.

Leeds restored parity when a defensive mix-up allowed Mirco Antenucci to lob an effort over Joe Lewis.

The Seasiders were the better side throughout however, and could have finished with all three points had Michael Jacobs not been denied in injury time.

Blackpool had started the contest brightly and Jacobs was a whisker away from his first goal for the club when he failed to connect with Orlandi's drilled cross.

The half-chance sparked a succession of Pool set pieces which came to nothing, and they were almost punished when Leeds' first opening arrived. Luke Murphy's deep cross found Sam Byram, but he flashed his volley across goal and wide of the mark. 

34 minutes in midfielder David Perkins had a dig at goal, but dragged his effort well wide when he had better options either side. Moments later Orlandi's mazy run created space for José Cubero, who unleashed an effort into the stands.

Lewis was still being kept busy in Blackpool's goal however, and denied Charlie Taylor a memorable goal after the midfielder had weaved through, but was denied by the stopper. 

However a minute before the break Blackpool were rewarded for their positive first half display with the opening goal. Orlandi's brilliant free-kick cannoned off the underside of the bar, but Madine was on hand to gobble up the rebound with a diving header.

Half Time: Blackpool 1 Leeds 0

After the break Pool continued their positivity, and after Madine headed wide Orlandi curled another free-kick into the arms of Marco Silvestre. 

At the other end Taylor got the better of Grant Hall, and his cross found Antenucci, who fired over with a wicked volley. However the striker was deadly when the second chance fell his way.

Confusion between Cubero and Peter Clarke allowed him space in the box to loft an effort over Lewis, and Darren O'Dea couldn't clear the bouncing ball off the line. 

With their tails up Leeds could have been ahead within minutes, but Charles Dunne did brilliantly to throw his body in the way of Steve Morison's effort. 

Miles Addison ensured Silvestre was kept busy in front of the North Stand, as the Italian got down low to keep the scores level.

The Leeds number one was excelling as the game entered the final stages, as he flew across his goal to keep out Jacobs' free-kick. 

Controversy deep into injury time saw the visitors have the ball in the back of the net, but Souleymane Doukara's header was ruled out for an earlier foul.

However the final chance was Blackpool's, and Jacobs fired a free-kick harmlessly over the bar.

Full Time: Blackpool 1 Leeds 1

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block