Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 21/11/2015

21 November 2015

Report: Southend 1 Blackpool 0

Blackpool’s disappointing run of form continued at Roots Hall, as Adam Thompson headed home Southend United's winner 14 minutes from time.

In another match where there was nothing to choose between the two sides, Blackpool were left empty handed for the sixth game on the spin after failing to trouble their hosts from open play.

Debutant Andy Little hit the woodwork for Neil McDonald’s side, while Tom Aldred also came close, but The Seasiders remain in the League One relegation zone. 

Blackpool had done much of the early running, but nothing came from their early corner, before Kevan Hurst was denied by both Dean Lyness and Clark Robertson. 

While appeals for a Pool free-kick fell on deaf ears, Hurst continued to prove a menace by firing wide of Lyness’ near post. David Mooney then took the ball on the chest and dragged wide, with Southend creating all the chances.

The Seasiders were thwarting their hosts in the opening 20 minutes, with Aldred producing arguably the tackle of the season to deny Hurst. However, with the next opportunity Pool thought they’d taken the lead.

Aldred returned Jim McAlister’s corner with interest and Little’s header came back off the underside of the bar, but not beyond the line according to the referee, as The Shrimps were let off the hook. 

Unfortunately that would be the final moment of Little’s bright, but short debut, with the striker coming off on 40 minutes with what appeared to be a hamstring injury. His replacement Kwame Thomas was instantly involved, putting a chance on a plate for Mark Cullen, who sliced wide. 

Half-Time: Southend 0 Blackpool 0

Southend came out for the second half with more vigor, and while Ben Coker watched his free-kick held by Lyness, Ryan Leonard failed to test the goalkeeper with a precise effort. 

Then came Blackpool’s big chance. Aldred swiveled inside the home box, following David Ferguson’s corner, but placed his effort into the arms of Dan Bentley. Martin Paterson then replaced Cullen as Pool mixed things up. 

Despite that change, it was the hosts taking the game to Blackpool, and they finally broke their resolution on 76 minutes, as a deep cross was headed in at the back post by Thompson. 

That goal hurt Pool, who needed to come from behind to claim something from the contest, which looked unlikely once Brad Potts lashed wide from long range. At the other end Lyness flew across goal to keep out Jack Payne’s effort. 

Last chance saloon saw Jack Redshaw replace Bright Osayi-Samuel, but the striker wasn’t given enough time to make an impact, as Pool fell to defeat. 

Full Time: Southend 1 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block