Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 28/11/2015

28 November 2015

Report: Blackpool 1 Fleetwood 0

Blackpool ground out three vital points against neighbours Fleetwood Town to end a disappointing November on a positive note.

An own goal from Fleetwood stalwart Nathan Pond was the deciding factor, as he turned home Brad Potts’ raking cross before the break.

After a run of six games without a goal, The Seasiders were willing to take any goal which came their way, and their resilient defending saw the job through from there.

In what was the first Football League meeting between the clubs, Fleetwood had their chances, but they couldn’t force a way through and the host could celebrate. 

In a match which had the Fylde Coast talking all week, Blackpool settled into their home surroundings quickly, and Bright Osayi-Samuel fired wide of Chris Maxwell’s near post early on. 

However, he didn’t come as close as Joe Davis for Fleetwood, who had his effort cleared off the line by the chest of Hayden White, before Dean Lyness clawed away a curling effort from the right boot of David Henen.

Blackpool’s on loan right back was catching the eye early on and produced a fine, lunging tackle on David Ball, who looked certain to score. And that tackle looked even more crucial moments later when Blackpool took the lead in fortunate circumstances.

Without a goal in six matches, Pool were happy to take anything which came their way, so when Fleetwood stalwart Pond diverted Potts’ raking cross into his own net, the relief around Bloomfield Road was tangible. 

Blackpool began to play with more confidence from that point, but Lyness did have to make a save from Tarique Fosu, before Henen’s curling effort took a nick on its way out for a corner. 

Right before the break The Seasiders had a golden chance to give their lead more of a gloss, as the ball landed to Jack Redshaw with acres of space, but the striker lost his composure and fired over, to the disappointment of the home support. 

Half-Time: Blackpool 1 Fleetwood 0

Neil McDonald opted to change the system at the break, with Elliot Lee coming off the bench for his debut in place of Osayi-Samuel and their lead remained intact when Tom Aldred diverted Ball’s effort wide. 

Fleetwood had remerged for the second half the better side and Jimmy Ryan sold David Norris a dummy, before shooting at Lyness. The goalkeeper looked less convincing soon after when Henen’s cross glanced off the face of the bar. 

Fleetwood were committing bodies forward, but Aldred epitomised the Blackpool defending by producing a typically brave challenge to deny Ryan, before John Herron replaced Redshaw for the hosts. 

Next it was former Seasider Bobby Grant who curled into the arms of Lyness. While it wasn’t a nasty contest, a flare up inside the Pool box ten minutes from time did force the referee to brandish three yellow cards.

Town were continuing to press as the game wore, with both Grant and Nick Haughton testing Lyness. Six minutes were added on at the end, but The Cod Army failed to produce any further chances, as Pool saw out the win.

Full-Time: Blackpool 1 Fleetwood 0

Advertisement block