Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 17/10/2015

17 October 2015

Report: Coventry 0 Blackpool 0

Blackpool chalked up another point in the right direction at the Ricoh Arena, as Neil McDonald’s well-drilled side deservedly shared the spoils with Coventry City.

The Seasiders frustrated their hosts, who currently occupy a play-off spot, and had their chances to claim maximum points, most notably through Mark Cullen.

The striker dragged wide when bearing down on goal with the visitors’ best opening, while Colin Doyle impressed between the sticks, particularly to deny Chris Stokes in the first-half. 

The draw extends Pool’s unbeaten run to four matches and also brought about their third consecutive clean sheet in League One action.

In keeping with the league table, the hosts had started the better side and Marc Antoine-Fortune’s crisp effort across goal had Doyle concerned for a moment or two early on. The stopper then bailed out his defence by thwarting former Pool loanee Jacob Murphy, who’d looked lively early on.

It didn’t take long for Blackpool to find their feet however, and after Cullen twice saw a sight of goal go as quickly as it came, Tom Aldred headed at Reice Charles-Cook. His opposite number was then called into action to beat away Murphy’s speculative effort. 

As the half wore on Pool’s number 10 Jack Redshaw started to find some joy inside the pockets, and after he shot wide from range, he then tested Charles-Cook with a low effort. It was City defender Aaron Martin who threatened to break the deadlock next, heading over from a corner.

For all their attacking options, it was Coventry’s left-back Stokes who forced Doyle into the best save of the game, with the stopper hanging in the air to claw away the strike. And the goalkeeper then held Ryan Kent’s effort, as The Sky Blues attempted to gain the upper hand. 

That would be the final action of note in the opening half, as Pool went in for the break having more than matched their hosts. 

Half-Time: Coventry 0 Blackpool 0

The Seasiders began the second-half with more intensity, and after Brad Potts had blazed over, Redshaw forced Charles-Cook to palm his effort to safety. Henry Cameron was then guilty of missing an even better chance moments later, firing Pott’s cross into the keeper’s hands, via the floor.

As for City, leading marksman Adam Armstrong was certain he’d scored at the other end, but David Ferguson got back in time to block his goal-bound effort. 64 minutes in McDonald made his first change, swapping Redshaw with Kwame Thomas. 

But it was Thomas’ new strike partner Cullen who came within inches of giving his side the lead. After chasing down a speculative ball and bullying Reda Johnson off the ball, Cullen found himself bearing down on goal but dragged his effort wide of the target. 

Pool were looking a threat going forward, knowing they could rely on their defence, and Clark Robertson was first on the scene to ensure Doyle’s fumble from Murphy’s shot went unpunished. Coventry were remaining firm too and an outstretched leg turned Potts’ free-kick over the bar. 

With ten minutes remaining Bright Osayi-Samuel replaced Cameron, as Pool added an injection of pace. And they saw out their hosts in impressive fashion during the closing stages, which was enough to earn a point. 

Full-Time: Coventry 0 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block