Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 20/10/2015

20 October 2015

Report: Blackpool 1 Millwall 1

Jack Redshaw’s penalty seven minutes from time earned Blackpool a share of the spoils against Millwall and extended their unbeaten run to five matches.

David Norris was hauled down by Carlos Edwards, who saw red for his offence, and Redshaw did the honours by firing the equaliser in off the crossbar. 

In truth it wasn’t Pool’s best performance of the last five games and they’d looked to be heading to defeat after Mark Beevers’ first-half opener.

But for their endeavour the hosts deserved a point, as Redshaw kept his cool for his third goal of the season. 

Impressive away from home this season, Millwall began the better side and Steve Morison and Aiden O’Brien both had early sightings of Pool’s goal but failed to hit the target. 

It took The Seasiders 22 minutes to register their first shot, but Millwall’s Jordan Archer went untested, as Jim McAlister hit a rasping volley over the bar.

Then lady luck came and went within seconds for Pool’s next chance, as Mark Cullen’s effort took a fortunate deflection which looked to carry the ball in, only for it to bounce back off the woodwork and into Archer’s arms. 

However, it was The Lions who deserved the lead when it arrived, again the crossbar was involved to deny Morison, but unlike at the other end, the rebound fell to the attacking side, and Beevers composed himself to smash the ball home. 

There’d be no further chances, as Blackpool went in for the break behind after a subdued performance.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Millwall 1

After the break Neil McDonald decided he’d seen enough of Henry Cameron and replaced him with Bright Osayi-Samuel.

Blackpool came out for the second-half with renewed belief and McAlister’s free-kick created openings for Tom Aldred and Brad Potts, but both failed to find the necessary connection. 

As for The Lions, they had a fabulous chance to double their lead just after the hour mark, but after dummying his way through, O’Brien fired into the side netting with the goal gaping. 

Redshaw swung an effort into Archer’s arms just moments after Jarrett Rivers and Kwame Thomas had replaced McAlister and Cullen. 

It was Rivers who set up the hosts’ next opportunity, but Aldred’s header was easily caught Archer, before Doyle shot off his line to deny Shane Ferguson with his feet. 

However, the game swung on 83 minutes as Blackpool finally found their way through the stubborn Millwall defence. Potts’ ball bobbled through to Norris, and once the midfielder had got the wrong side of Edwards, the veteran had no option but to haul down his man.

Edwards inevitably saw red as the last man and Redshaw composed himself to fire Blackpool level off the underside of the bar. 

That sequence of events swung the pendulum firmly Pool’s way and the referee turned a blind eye to two handball appeals against the visitors. 

They huffed and puffed from that point, but were forced to settle for a point that had looked unlikely ever since going behind.

Full-Time: Blackpool 1 Millwall 1

Advertisement block