Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 19/09/2015

19 September 2015

Report: Blackpool 1 Barnsley 1

Jack Redshaw came off the bench to rescue Blackpool a point against Barnsley at Bloomfield Road.

The striker came off the bench at half-time and lit up the contest, sliding home after Brad Potts had played him in. 

It made up for a disappointing first-half, which Barnsley took full advantage of through Conor Hourihane’s opener.

Overall The Seasiders deserved the point, their first at home this season, and it could have been all three had Redshaw not been denied by a top save at the death. 

It took the visitors no time to build on last week’s victory, taking the advantage of some sloppy Pool defending thanks to Hourihane, who scuffed Marley Watkins’ cross beyond the outstretched arms of Colin Doyle. 

The Seasiders should have been level moments later however, when Henry Cameron volleyed Potts’ delivery wide at the back-post.

The midfielder went himself second time around, but dragged a low effort into the arms of Nick Townsend. 

In truth, Blackpool were struggling to gain any sort of foothold on the game and Doyle was well positioned to collect a simple effort from Sam Winnall. 

Townsend was then forced into a similar sort of save at the other end, when he kept out a header from Tom Aldred. The defender was then denied by a fingertip save from Townsend, who raced off his line to keep out Emmerson Boyce soon after. 

However, Pool failed to force any further chances and went in for the interval trailing.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Barnsley 1

Neil McDonald rang the changes at the break, bringing on Kwame Thomas and Redshaw for Cameron and Jose Cubero.

And the changes had the desired effect, after some nice build-up play Potts played in Redshaw, who made no mistake sliding his effort beyond Townsend. 

The Seasiders were playing with more freedom after the break, and John Herron was a toe-end away from Mark Cullen’s low cross, before Potts headed the midfielder’s corner wide.

At the other end Barnsley substitute Michael Smith floated a header onto the roof of the net. 

Hourihane was next to be left frustrated for The Tykes, as he watched Doyle keep out his left-footed strike with a fine one-handed save. 

His fellow goalkeeper was almost with egg on his face 12 minutes from time, as his clearance cannoned off Thomas, but somehow stayed out. 

If Townsend looked shaky then, he made up for it with a fine save to deny Redshaw his second of the game. The striker jinked past his man and fired a low effort which was well saved by Townsend. 

Full-Time: Blackpool 1 Barnsley 1

Advertisement block