Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 29/09/2015

29 September 2015

Report: Blackpool 2 Chesterfield 0

Neil McDonald recorded his first Bloomfield Road victory as Blackpool boss, as a goal in each half from Mark Cullen and Brad Potts saw off Chesterfield.

The Seasiders produced their best performance of the season, as Cullen’s second minute strike allowed them to play with confidence for the full 90 minutes.

Brad Potts killed it as a contest after the interval, capping a devastating counter attack with a calm finished beyond Tommy Lee.

The victory moved The Seasiders off the foot of the table and it would have been more had it not been for an impressive performance from the visiting goalkeeper. 

Looking for a reaction to Saturday’s defeat, Blackpool started in the best possible fashion, taking the lead after just two minutes. Henry Cameron’s corner caused carnage inside the Chesterfield box and after Jack Redshaw took a swing, Cullen steamed in and blasted into the roof of the net. 

In the build-up McDonald had called on his players to take their impressive training into the match and from another set piece David Norris fired at Lee, continuing the positive start.

Cullen in particular was busy in the early parts and sprung the offside trap moments later, only to be denied by a firm save from Lee. 

The first signs of Chesterfield’s capabilities came through Ollie Banks, who finished an impressive passing move by curling over from 25 yards out. The midfielder then wasted an even better chance less than 60 seconds later, when he planted a header wide when unmarked.

However, it should certainly have been 2-0 when Blackpool sprung their next attack. Again it came through Cullen down the left, his cut-back found Redshaw, who scuffed his shot but inadvertently found David Norris, who shot wide on the fall from a matter of yards out.

Pool were continuing to squander chances when their backs were up, Potts was guilty next, as he shot at Lee. 

An entertaining contest then saw Hird glanced a header wide for The Spireites and Cullen returned to shoot straight at Lee. Two minutes before the break Redshaw’s frustration continued, as his snap-shot was kept out by an impressive reaction save from Lee. 

Half Time: Blackpool 1 Chesterfield 0

After the break Blackpool continued to enjoy the lion’s share of possession, but while at 1-0 they remained vulnerable and were happy to see Sam Morsy’s effort sail narrowly wide. 

On 64 minutes McDonald made his first change, putting John Herron on in place of Cameron and within minutes Blackpool had breathing space.

The 68th minute proved decisive as the substitute was perfectly placed to clear Sam Hird’s effort off the line and from there Pool strung a devastating counter attack involving Herron and Redshaw, who slipped in Potts to finish well.

On his return to Bloomfield Road Ian Evatt headed wide Dan Gardner’s corner, before Kwame Thomas replaced Cullen for the hosts. 

And it was The Seasiders who almost made it three, when Jim McAlister, who’d worked tirelessly all night, weaved his way through and tested Lee. While for Chesterfield Sylvan Ebanks-Blake attempted to roll back the years but dragged a golden opportunity wide.

The striker then swivelled and shot at Doyle soon after as Blackpool saw out the victory comfortably for their first home win since January. 

Full Time: Blackpool 2 Chesterfield 0

Advertisement block