Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 23/04/2016

23 April 2016

Report: Fleetwood 0 Blackpool 0

Blackpool were forced to settle for a point against Fylde Coast and relegation rivals Fleetwood Town, after failing to find a way past home goalkeeper Chris Maxwell.

The goalkeeper was equal to everything The Seasiders asked on him, and when he was finally beaten the offside flag denied Danny Philliskirk.

A point each does little to help either side in their bid to avoid the drop, particularly with other clubs picking up maximum points. 

The hosts started the brighter side in the Fleetwood sun, with Antoni Sarcevic firing over with a snap-shot on the edge of the box. Blackpool’s first sighting came through the recalled Jack Redshaw, who couldn’t get a difficult ball under control as he fired wide. 

Once they’d settled Pool looked a threat and good work from Hayden White fashioned an opening for Mark Cullen, who headed over at the back post. In an open first 15 minutes, both sides were getting chances, next Sarcevic blazed over on the turn. 

With their next chance Fleetwood called Colin Doyle into action, but the Irishman was equal to Wes Burns’ low strike. It was Sarcevic finding space in the pockets to get his shots away, next flashing a shot wide of Doyle’s right-hand post. 

The next chance fell to Cullen, who did well to isolate Nathan Pond, before watching his near-post shot turned behind for a corner by Chris Maxwell.  

Moments later the ball was in the back of the net but a big call from the referee’s assistant ruled out the goal. A brilliant ball from Cullen freed Jim McAlister, whose deft effort looked to be heading wide before Philliskirk knocked home at the back-post, only for the officials to deem it offside. 

That would be the final action of the half, as Pool went in feeling slightly hard done by to be just level.

Half-Time: Fleetwood 0 Blackpool 0

After the break Blackpool went about continuing their good work and Philliskirk tested Maxwell early on with a low drive. It was Pool continuing to ask the questions, next Redshaw curled a free-kick into the wall. 

They were handed a major let off with 20 minutes remaining, when a sweetly-struck effort clipped the angle of the woodwork and flew over. At the other end Philliskirk’s shot fell to David Norris, who was penalised for offside.

Blackpool were certainly looking the likelier side as the game wore on and Philliskirk flashed another effort wide after good work from Tom Aldred. Soon after Jacob Blyth replaced Cullen, after Martin Paterson had come on for Redshaw.

Paterson was quickly involved, as his header was flicked over the bar by Maxwell. The Seasiders’ final change saw Mark Yeates replace Smith. Maxwell was then called into action once more as he collected a strike from Philliskirk, as Pool were forced to settle for a point.

Full-Time: Fleetwood 0 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block