Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 30/04/2016

30 April 2016

Report: Blackpool 0 Wigan 4

Blackpool’s League One status is hanging by a thread after a second-half capitulation saw Wigan Athletic seal promotion with victory at Bloomfield Road.

The hosts had comfortably been the better side in the first-half, with Mark Cullen and Jack Redshaw amongst those guilty of wasting glaring chances.

Wigan had a helping hand in all four goals. Chris McCann was the first benefiter, before Yanic Wildschut helped himself to two after more mistakes. 

The league’s top scorer Will Grigg completed the scoring with a tap-in late on, leaving Blackpool to mull over the increasing likeliness of League Two football next season. 

With the stakes high at Bloomfield Road, both goalkeepers were called into action in the opening 11 minutes. Colin Doyle’s save was fairly simple, as he dropped to collect Max Power’s effort.

Jussi Jaaskelainen had to be much more prepared however, as Liam Smith’s shot deflected into the path of Redshaw, who was thwarted by the goalkeeper from close range.

Dealing with everything their visitors asked of them, Blackpool began to settle and Danny Philliskirk blazed over with a presentable opening inside the penalty area. 

The chances were falling to Pool, next Hayden White slipped Cullen through, but after the striker had sprung the offside trap he couldn’t work the goalkeeper, scuffing his effort across goal and wide.

Penalty appeals by Redshaw then fell on deaf ears, before Philliskirk was inches away from heading home Jim McAlister’s cross. From the resulting corner Tom Aldred thumped a header over the bar.

Wigan changed their hand, but still Blackpool were forcing mistakes. Next David Perkins didn’t deal with a bouncing ball, allowing Redshaw to nip in ahead of Jaaskelainen, but when it mattered the striker lost his composure and shot over from a tight angle. 

With the first-half coming to an end Power drilled down the throat of Doyle, but it was 45 minutes of football where Blackpool had been the better side.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Wigan 0

Wigan improved after the break and Grigg got his first sighting of goal, rolling Clark Robertson only to be denied by Doyle. 

Blackpool were dealt a huge blow 53 minutes in when a brilliant touch from Cullen resulted in the striker pulling up with an apartment hamstring injury, meaning Jacob Blyth took his place.

Half-time substitute Wildschut then tested Doyle with a powerful strike, but the goalkeeper could do nothing when the opening goal arrived.

McAlister and Liam Smith collided in a dangerous area, allowing McCann to pick his spot and fire into the top corner, via the help of a deflection. 

Blackpool needed two goals to give themselves a fighting chance, but both Blyth and Robertson shot off target, before Martin Paterson took the place of Redshaw.

The result was wrapped up minutes later however, when McCann robbed Smith of possession and Wildschut guided the ball beyond the reach of Doyle. 

It was a carbon copy move which brought the third goal. Smith again relinquished possession and Wildschut had time to take the ball onto his right foot and roll home the third goal.

Wigan were happy to watch the clock down from there and Wildschut fired his hat-trick chance just wide. 

Not to be left out, League One’s top scorer Grigg got in on the act late on, tapping home at the back post to condemn Blackpool to a damaging defeat in their final home game of the season. 

Full-Time: Blackpool 0 Wigan 4

Advertisement block