Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 13/08/2016

13 August 2016

Report: Morecambe 2 Blackpool 1

Morecambe came from behind to inflict a first defeat of the season on luckless Blackpool, who'd taken the lead through Brad Potts.

The midfielder rifled Pool ahead in the first-half, but Jack Dunn's penalty had the hosts level by the break.

Despite Blackpool dominance in the second period, the home side nicked all three points when Michael Rose finished off a counter attack by firing into the roof of the net. 

Blackpool had started the better side and it took them just one minute threaten through Potts. The midfielder got in behind the home defence and was denied by the feet of Barry Roche, before the same man was again thwarted by the Morecambe stopper. 

An entertaining opening saw The Shrimps come close soon after, as Rose’s cross-cum-shot almost caught out Sam Slocombe, who turned the ball onto the cross bar.

The end-to-end action continued early on and Tom Aldred should have done better when turning Michael Cain’s corner over the bar. Liverpool loanee Dunn then shot the ball over the bar and into a sea of tangerine for the home side.

Blackpool, wearing their new blue away kit for the first time, deservedly edged in front on 24 minutes, when Andy Taylor’s raking ball found Potts and the midfielder rifled home on the turn.

The goal was just rewards for a positive start and Kelvin Mellor could have made it two when he met Cain’s corner, but his planted header should have hit the target at least. 

Two minutes before the break Cole Stockton’s snapshot from long range had Slocombe flying across his goal, but it was never really in threat. However, they did find their equaliser in first-half stoppage time. 

Former Seasider Tom Barkhuizen broke down the right and was tripped by Jim McAlister, just inside the area according to the referee. Dunn did the honours, sending Slocombe the wrong way from 12 yards out. 

Half-Time: Morecambe 1 Blackpool 1

A half-time substitution saw Colin Daniel replace Taylor, who had been carrying a yellow card since the opening stages. 

After the break Blackpool quickly set about regaining their lead but it was a Morecambe man who came to finding his own net, as Alex Whitmore’s over hit back pass beat Roche but not the cross bar. 

After winning the free-kick himself, Cain was next to threaten for The Seasiders, as his dead ball landed on the roof of the net. Then came the turn of Daniel, who exchanged passed with Potts, only to be denied by a brilliant piece of Morecambe defending. 

16 minutes from time Mark Cullen took the place of Bright Osayi-Samuel, who had again looked lively down the left-hand side. The striker was instantly involved, being denied by some terrific defending from Liam Wakefield. 

Despite their second-half domination, Blackpool were hit with a sucker punch on the counter attack, as Rose ran in on goal and fired into the roof of Slocombe’s net. 

Gary Bowyer reacted by bringing on Mark Yeates for Cain but it was Slocombe still doing the work, getting don low to save from Alex Kenyon and Stockton. 

As the game entered the closing stages Cullen volleyed wide after latching onto a Kyle Vassell chest down however there would be no further chances, despite Aldred moving up front for the dying moments, and Blackpool were beaten.

Full-Time: Morecambe 2 Blackpool 1

Advertisement block